Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Raggtop protectant overspray on rear plastic window

Stupidly, I didn't mask my brand new rear plastic window when spraying raggtop on my convertible top. Now there are nasty marks on the window that won't come off. Is there anyway I can clean the window without scratching it?

ASpec818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Try Goo Gone. If that doesn't work I'm sure claybar will take it off easily.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

I'd be hesitent to use Goo Gone but admit I've never tried it. Walmarts and auto parts places sell a Meguiar's product called Plastic X. It's a cleaner with mild abrasive and it's made for cleaning plastic. Works well on my car but I don't know what's in the top protectant. You'd think they realize it's going to be used around convertible top windows and wouldn't put something in it that would permanently damage them.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
JTP

I've used Raggtopp on my top many times and it never left any marks on my 11 yr old factory plastic window. I always cleaned the window with Plastx so maybe that protected it or your new window was not compatible.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Garage
+1

Yeah, me too.. I use raggtopp on my '00 S and have gotten it on the rear window every time. It always just wiped off. Hummm....?

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

Send an e-mail to Rick at Ragg Topp and ask his advice:

rick@wolfsteins.com

The key with the overspary is that it needs to be removed immediately. Maybe try putting a small amount of Ragg Topp on a clean towel, and re-wiping a small area of the rear window, and see it if comes off.

Contact Rick first.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

+2 on the PlastiX.

My daughter took my DD Fit on a trip to Texas and brought it back with a huge road gator black scar on the hood. Luckily I had the entire hood covered with clear bra when it was done. It took some doing with my orbital buffer, but PlastiX took all the black off and polished out all but the worst scars in the clear bra material.
Now if something would take the scars off the textured black plastic at the base of the windshield.......
She's lucky it didn't brake the windshield and I'm lucky I insisted on the bra guy covering the entire hood.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

SOmething else to try if nothing is working......Aerospace 303 vinyl cleaner/protector sure does take lots of nasty water spots off the A pillar plastic trim and window seals. It also has good chemicals that renew and protect the vinyl in the window.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #9

Did you ever figure out what you did to your top? Raggtopp won't do that. It's pH neutral and doesn't stain or effect plastic or glass windows. As stated above Aerospace 303 is great for the rear plastic.