Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

2005 Porsche Boxster Purchase - Owner Issues?

I saw the consumer reports for a 2005 Boxster & it showed much worse than average: major engine repairs, minor engine repairs, minor transmission, body integrity, body hardware, and audio system. I'm now hesitant to purchase and am thinking about looking for a 2003 or 2006 which Consumer Reports indicated was much better than average and better than average in the above mentioned categories. Does any have any experience or knowledge of poor reliability for the 2005 model?

rbambacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

The Boxster 986 model ran from 1997 - 2004. The Boxster 987 (first generation or 987.1) ran from 2005 - 2008 and the Boxster 987 second gen (987.2) from 2009 and on.

Thus, 2005 was the first year of the new 987 model and there are always more problems with the first year of a new model.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #3

Very true...furthermore, I don't care for the enlarged body and redesigned interior of the 987 vs the 986...the earlier cars just seem to be more pure and simple.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #4

jmatta, I'm just the opposite. I think the 986 interior looks cheap compared to the 987.

This is good though. Guys like you keep the resale value of the 986 higher and guys like me keep the 987's resale value higher.

rbambacus, I would highly recommend you look at the 2007 S models. They have a 3.4 in them and my buddy's car has had zero problems in 4 years of ownership sans his ceramic brakes, which on his car are total crap and fade badly at the track. And he flogs the car regularly at the track, btw...

If you don't have the cash for a 07S, then WAIT and buy one when you do have the cash. You will be happy you did. The larger motor and reliability of a model that's 2 years in makes all the difference in the world.

I wish I had not compromised my desires by purchasing a 2.5 1997 when the 3.2 S's were already out in 2004. Don't make the same mistake I made.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #5

I think there's too much bling (Chrome) on the 987's interior parts....Go for a 2004 model.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #6

I question the

sample size used by CR and thus their ability to report anything meaningful on a niche vehicle like the Boxster. When a sample gets too small it also gets too self selecting.

I always cite my Boxster experiences (2 very very good/reliable/cheap cars) as being totally unhelpful when predicting what your experience might be.

I'd prefer the 987 over the 986 (I owned 986s) (look at the model year differences list http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/modelyeardifferences for reasons why).

And the '05 over the '07. Why? Because a major source of worry for some is the IMS and the '05 IMS is easier/cheaper to replace with an upgraded part in the '05.

Look for a car maintained by an enthusiast and get a PPI done before you buy so you know the condition of the car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
And the '05 over the '07. Why? Because a major source of worry for some is the IMS and the '05 IMS is easier/cheaper to replace with an upgraded part in the '05.
Really? I thought the new 05 and up motor you had to split the case to replace the IMS, while the 04 and below you could upgrade the IMS during a clutch replacement. Now I'm confused.....(which is not hard to do BTW)
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

From what I've read surf40, 05 is may or may not be able to be replaced without splitting the cases. For that reason I would go with an 04 S or something newer like 07. I think the general thought on this thread it to stay away from 05 models. I might be wrong in saying that though
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

Garage
I spoke with an instructor with an 05S last week at Mid-OH and with 117K on the clock he had only replaced the AOS.

As Mike F said, these cars have the small IMS bearing and it can be replaced without splitting the case.

If the car has had the maintenance done, I don't think these would be cars to avoid necessarily.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #10

I beleive the IMS build change came in October of 2005 in the 2006 models. Some early 2006 cars can be fixed in the car too.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #11

Buy it, drive it and don't freak out about what you can't control. I'm on Boxster #4 and have had zero issues. Currently have an 05 S with 21K (bought with 20K) and no issues with the car from me or the previous owner.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to REDBXSTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
Buy it, drive it and don't freak out about what you can't control. I'm on Boxster #4 and have had zero issues. Currently have an 05 S with 21K (bought with 20K) and no issues with the car from me or the previous owner.
Hello, I know this is an older post, but I wanted to see if you still own your '05 S, because that is what I have recently purchased, a 2005 Boxster S, Midnight Blue Metallic. Did you have any problems with yours, since your purchase with 21K mies that you could tell me about?

I was a little paranoid regarding the IMS bearing issues so I had the LN Engineering bearing upgrade, along with a Cayenne improved RMS to fix a small leak. Also replaced my flywheel and clutch. Rides great, but who knows.

Since the class action lawsuit, I attempted to check my VIN against the website and it said that my VIN is not part of the "class". Strange since I have an '05 with the single row bearing (before the upgrade) and it is less than 10 years old. Did you VIN check out as part of the class.

Just curious, because you have an '05 S as well.

Thanks

Steven
19" Boxster S Sport Wheels, Preferred Package Plus-S, PASM, Bi-Xenon Headlamps.
REDBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Hawaiian Driver

I also own an 05 S. I've only had it for several thousand miles, but it runs extremely well. No rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Planning to install the bearing when replacing the clutch sometime early next year.

Additionally the convertible top is in like new condition.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Driver View Post
I also own an 05 S. I've only had it for several thousand miles, but it runs extremely well. No rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Planning to install the bearing when replacing the clutch sometime early next year.

Additionally the convertible top is in like new condition.
Have you tried running your VIN ON THE CLASS ACTION webpage? To see if it is included in the Porsche IMS class action? Being I also have a 05 S, I'd be curious if yours is included. Mine is not. It's possible that Porsche simply eliminated a range of VIN numbers to limit their liability and financial outlay. Can you check yours and let me know if yours is included or not? By not being included it may also mean, our IMS BEARING is not as at risk of imploding. Let me know. Thanks. Steve

Here is the link.
Class Vehicle VINs | IMS Porsche Settlement
Old 11-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #15
Hawaiian Driver

Unfortunately when I ran my VIN it came back as a class vehicle, all the more reason to get the bearing changed sooner than later.

Thanks for the info. I run the car moderately hard (no bogging), pulling through the gears strongly with the understanding that the bearing will be getting the necessary oil, besides it's more fun. Been thinking of taking the car to the mainland to make a huge road trip and getting the bearing replaced by a certified shop but I am undecided as of the moment.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Unfortunately when I ran my VIN it came back as a class vehicle, all the more reason to get the bearing changed sooner than later.

Thanks for the info. I run the car moderately hard (no bogging), pulling through the gears strongly with the understanding that the bearing will be getting the necessary oil, besides it's more fun. Been thinking of taking the car to the mainland to make a huge road trip and getting the bearing replaced by a certified shop but I am undecided as of the moment.
That is what I don't get. We both have a 2005 S so what could be the difference in the bearings or type. I had my replaced anyways, so I feel a little safer, although it is not so much the bearing, as it is the design of the engine. From 2009 and on they completely eliminated the intermediate shaft bearing completely. The bearings just get more heavy duty until they were eliminated, just to withstand the stresses but in the same model year? Hard to see how. I guess we should be happy that we don't have the bearing type that can't be changed. Then we would have been simply playing "luck", rather than being proactive by updating it.

You are correct in higher revving. I have read always keep the rpm above 2500 and drive it as Porsche intended. No problem there
Old 11-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:

Hi again. I am still trying to figure this out.
Could you tell me if the 11th digit of the VIN for your Porsche, is an S or a U ?
That would indicate the factory location where it was assembled.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Old 11-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #18
Hawaiian Driver

It is a U so it must of been made in Finland. Went out on 2.5 hour drive and performed wonderfully. From sea level to 10,000 feet
Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

05 is a good year model. I recently saw one of the upgraded shaft and it did have me thinking though but like stated you have to crack open the engine. Only thing that bothers me is how hard it us to connect your phone for music. Hate radio stations. Upgrade in hp so what not to like. Better interior also. Unless you can get a 3.4, ride on..... My first 05 was great!

Last edited by rp17; 11-29-2014 at 09:23 PM.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 AM   #20

Quote:
It is a U so it must of been made in Finland. Went out on 2.5 hour drive and performed wonderfully. From sea level to 10,000 feet
Thanks Hawaiian Driver, mine was actually assembled in Stuttgart, Germany but those also are included in the "class", just that mine is NOT. I did further research and determined that the In service or the build date of my particular '05 S is AFTER the qualification cutoff date of 2/21/05. So The class action excluded my vin for no other reason than the date it was placed into service and the original warranty began which was 4/25/05. All of our '05 S IMS are at small risk whether the VIN is included in the "class" or not.

I say just "drive it like you stole it" and enjoy it, and when ready for a clutch, do the IMS and Bearing UPGRADE at that time.

I've already updated my IMS, RMS, Clutch, and Flywheel, but I was just obsessed and just wanted to understand the reason for my vin exclusion. Lol

They are great cars. Enjoy!

Last edited by REDBXSTR; 11-30-2014 at 04:41 AM.