Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Repairs are getting tedious after only one month of ownership.

I've had my 2000 Boxster 2.7l for just over a month now and repairs are getting to be a pain. The last two weeks I've had to replace both the coolant tank and the AOS. Both jobs took about eight hours each in my hands and arms are all cut up and bruised.

Let's see, I've also done two oil changes just to flush out the motor, and I flushed the cooling system before I realized the coolant tank was leaking and I had to change it.

Next on the agenda is the water pump. This weekend I took the auxiliary belt off because I thought I heard one of the tensioners going. The tensioners are all fine, but the water pump has some play in the pulley.

After that, I have two change the the fuel filter and transmission gear oil.

Hopefully after all that's done, I'll actually have some time to drive it!

san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

You most likely need a front motor mount too. Do that when you change the fuel filter since you will have already removed all the under panels.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #3

You've got an 11 yr old Porsche. Did you expect it to be maintenance free?

What you're experiencing is typical. There are always lots of little things to take care of to get a "new" Boxster up to snuff. You can look at all this as a big PIA, or pursue it with enthusiasm and view each issue as an opportunity to learn about your car. I'm no cracker jack mechanic, so when I'm able to resolve a problem myself it gives me greater satisfaction when out driving and pride of ownership.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Actually, do the motor mount when you do the water pump as it is easier when you have the hose off. do the thermostat too while you're in there.

And yeah, lots of maintenance work on these cars. All part of the fun. If it's not fun for you then you may have picked the wrong car. My wife's Corolla requires almost no maintenance at all.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Actually, do the motor mount when you do the water pump as it is easier when you have the hose off. do the thermostat too while you're in there.

And yeah, lots of maintenance work on these cars. All part of the fun. If it's not fun for you then you may have picked the wrong car. My wife's Corolla requires almost no maintenance at all.
I like to wrench, don't get me wrong, guess I just got a little overwhelmed with the coolant tank and AOS back to back. But from what I've heard, these jobs are particularly tough.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Each of us went through the same thing when we bought our 10+ yr old cars. Catching up the maintenance and fixing the things that need to be fixed is time consuming and expensive - at first. After you get over the hump, you'll be amazed and as delighted with the car as the rest of us.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #7

Wrenching may be a PITA, but at least you can do it and think of the money you're saving. Labor up here is over $100/hr. Good luck and get out there and enjoy your car.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

In my experience, that coolant tank is the worst job. Not complicated but man did my arms look like I just got in a loosing fight with baby tiger...

Hang in there. I just got the water pump and plan to do it next week. I would go for the LN thermostat. It's pricey but way worth it in terms of keeping the engine cool....

Good luck...

-John
john90290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

Garage
I will say I am more impressed when someone does it themselves
on a DIY job/maintenance procedure on their Pcar
than hearing how much they spent to have it done @ dealer
don't get me wrong ...not all jobs/DIY's r easy
but its nice to c others r doing it 4 the love of their Pcar.
kudos to the other forum members who help every1 out
with advice/ shortcuts etc.
tackle what ur comfortable with....save some money
get to know ur car inside out.
OR drive a corolla...... lol
My 2 cents
Chris
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
I like to wrench, don't get me wrong, guess I just got a little overwhelmed with the coolant tank and AOS back to back. But from what I've heard, these jobs are particularly tough.
There is definitely a learning curve with these cars and lots of insider shortcuts. Download a posted DIY before you begin your next project and it will go a lot quicker. With a little experience the AOS and coolant tank can be changed out in around 2hrs each.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2
Wrenching may be a PITA, but at least you can do it and think of the money you're saving. Labor up here is over $100/hr. Good luck and get out there and enjoy your car.

Yeah, the money i've saved definitely makes it worth it. Was reading that some people have paid $1200+ for the tank replacement and $700+ for the AOS.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #12

Water pump spindle - when it goes it goes.

Good to get it done. I changed the s-belt and not a sound from the pump.
About 50 miles later I heard a noise and then 20 miles later it completely broke off.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #13

Went through the same thing (as others have stated). You go through this "what did I get myself into???" phase, followed by a "it's a porsche, why am I replacing ??", followed by a quick search on the forum and obtaining a handy DIY where others have previously trekked, followed by the daily smile when you leave the office and walk to your car, knowing that your day isn't quite over yet.. and then you grin.

...something like that.

it gets better. mucccchhhh better!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
I changed the s-belt and not a sound from the pump.
About 50 miles later I heard a noise and then 20 miles later it completely broke off.
I guess there isn't a way to know for sure, but I wonder if the tighter, new belt, pushed the already weak water pump over the edge?
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #15

I also have a 2000 (3.2). I'd say I've spent $10K on major and minor maintenance over the last 12 months. It's like spooky clockwork. A bunch of things just strated to go. But to be honese a few of those have been on their last legs for some time.

What you have to keep in mind is that this is a sports car.
Not an econo box. The parts are made lighter and more fragile and cost more to produce. There's no getting around any of this. Either buy new or newish or suck it up. Either way you end up paying. The only difference is do you want to plunk down a bunch of cash all at once for used or have a never ending monthly payment.

But at the end of the day withing the sports car realm, these are very durable rare birds.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #16

Nobody is ever going to walk up to you at the gas station and say"Wow! Nice Corolla!"
Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Nobody is ever going to walk up to you at the gas station and say"Wow! Nice Corolla!"
Not unless the driver of the Corolla was:

1. really hot
2. hot
3. really hot

Of course she would need to have a sense of humor lol.
Rui725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #18

If the driver of the corolla was a hot blonde.. I would say that...

Wow, nice Corolla.. what it's phone nr?
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
San, how many miles on this car...I've done a ton of stuff to my car but it didn't 'have' to be done, in fact all the 'repairs' on my car (2000 S) at 55k miles were minimal. I think I have done more early maintenance and unnecessary repairs then all those from the previous owner and I got the car at 53k miles in Nov. Do you have to do the gas filter and transmission fluid? If it is at that scheduled maintenance point then of course it makes sense. Like gschotland says getting it up to snuff can be a pia but in the end the piece of mind and the fun in doing it is worth it. I still have the water pump, engine mount, clutch, rms, ims on my list and look forward to doing it when the weather cools down. It gets really expensive when you start adding mods . I will say I probably won't be so positive if my coolant tank goes
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap

What you have to keep in mind is that this is a sports car.
Not an econo box. The parts are made lighter and more fragile and cost more to produce. There's no getting around any of this. Either buy new or newish or suck it up. Either way you end up paying. The only difference is do you want to plunk down a bunch of cash all at once for used or have a never ending monthly payment.

But at the end of the day withing the sports car realm, these are very durable rare birds.
As much as I would like to believe what you are saying, sadly it just isn't true. I have had many a discussion about German car manufacturers unscrupulous ways of making profits and they all seem to tread the same thin line between purposely making crap/junk parts designed to fail, and poor, but not deliberately poor, design.

To say that the parts that go into german cars are of higher quality or perform better thus making a better car is for the most part completely untrue. In fact, you'll often find much better parts in Japanese autos, especially in electronics. However I will concede that the parts on German cars are usually designed in a unique fashion, thus making their construction more expensive, but I really do question how much more expensive. I believe there is a lot of BS going on here about exclusivity - i.e. Porsche knows that if they make up funky shaped parts, odd fasteners, and unique designs, they will be difficult for after market companies to replicate and/or install, and thus all parts and service revenue go directly to Porsche (Most glaring example of this was the advent of the "service interval"). On top of this, sometimes I believe that certain parts have a prescribed lifespan. In other words, Porsche makes them knowing they will break, and thus they are a big revenue stream. This is CERTAINLY the business model for BMW/Mercedes. Possibly also for Porsche. The AOS is a good example -- it does not take 5 revisions to make one that doesn't fail in 20,000 km. A simple fix would have been to use better materials from the outset. Instead, they used crap knowing that this would be a common service on the car and hence reap the profits from repairs.

So the OP can feel better in knowing that the majority of the people on these forums have suffered the consequences of ownership of a german luxury auto. The only way you can avoid such costs is to buy the car new and use the warranty for what its for. However this is not a perfect fix since the downside is that your cars parts are still going to break and you will waste coutless hours at the dealership NOT enjoying your 100,000$ car. Trust me, I know. Alas, these are just the prices we must pay to enjoy luxury. I know I could have an Acura and be problem free (or much more so), but it just doesn't have the same feel and thrill as the Porsche or BMW. 'Tis a tough world... I wish someone would just make a luxury car that isn't made from cheap crap parts. I've heard that old Bentleys are good for this, but I think I'll need to work on my Law career a little longer before I can get one of those

Last edited by mikstew; 06-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote