Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Different but same window issue

I have searched the archives and have not found exactly the same issue and fix for my current problem.

I am hoping that someone out there can tell me what happened so I can order the part before I take apart the door.

While rolling the window up, when it reached the top there was a loud POP and I heard pieces of stuff drop down inside the door. From the sound, I fully expected the window to be broken.

Now the window will not drop from the inside or outside, BUT it will drop when the top latch is opened.

The window goes up and down without issue when the switch is used.
The door locks/unlocks/ and opens normally.

I am sure there is something broken. I dont think it is the regulator as it happened suddenly with a crack.

It has to be a part that is operated both by the inside and outside handle, but after looking at the parts diagram, I cant see where that common switch or device would be.

2002 S drivers side door:

Thanks in advance.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

Under normal conditions, the window will lower by a small amount when you close the door. After the door is shut, the window will then raise itself to fully close. Does your window still do that auto-adjustment?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

No it does not do the 1/4 inch drop when
Using the inside or outside handle. Otherwise
It works fine. Up and down smooth with no play.

I am thinking that there is some kind of switch in the
door mechanism that tells the window that the handle
is in use.

Looking at the parts diagram, there is a switch in the outside handle
But is there one for the inside handle?

It would have to be a part that is operated by both handles.

I can just take it apart and I am sure the broken part will be obvious by all the pieces I heard fall.

If possible I wanted to order the repair part before I take apart the door because this is my daily driver and I don't want to drive around with the door panel off while waiting a week for the parts to come in.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote