Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Caliper rebuild kit??

My brother is chasing a brake fluid overheat problem during track sessions and the next step is to rebuild/replace the front calipers. Anyone know of a source for rebuild components or have a lightly used set of front base calipers they want to sell?

Background: Our cars are set up with identical brake components and mine never gets hot while his pedal goes to the floor after 15 minutes on the track. Good rotors, Raybestos ST-43 pads (1250F rating), Motul 600 fluid generously flushed and bled. GT3 brake ducts in place. His calipers are visually discolored from overheating. Next step is calipers and hoses.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #2

These guys will sell you the set which are inner seals and outer dust boots. Dealer will only sell you the outer dust boots. You'll also need the bottle of silicon lube for the inner seals which they also sell.

http://www.zeckhausen.com

You can get the specs from my caliper thread.
S brake conversion & caliper rebuild

Last edited by ekam; 05-11-2011 at 06:40 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #3

that's the place i buy mine. no need for the silicone lube, though. just use brake fluid (per stoptech's advice)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Hey thanks for the quick response guys! I passed this info on to my brother. Next event is in 2 weeks and since he often rides my butt out there it would be nice to have a set of brakes he/we can count on.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #5

FYI, i posted a LONG DIY on boxster caliper rebuilds; it's either on this site or renntech.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
These guys will sell you the set which are inner seals and outer dust boots. Dealer will only sell you the outer dust boots. You'll also need the bottle of silicon lube for the inner seals which they also sell.

http://www.zeckhausen.com

You can get the specs from my caliper thread.
S brake conversion & caliper rebuild

Ekam, can you confirm that the dust boots and inner seals that these guys sells fit on the Boxster S calipers ?? I went to their website and they list the seals made by stoptech as "guaranteed" to fit the stoptech brakes andd "possibly" fit the brembos.

I presume I'll need 4 x 40mm dust boots 4 x 40mm inner seals 4 x 36mm dust boots and 4 x 36mm inner seals for the front S brakes ?
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #7

shlim -

i've rebuilt many calipers with their parts. they work perfectly.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
Ekam, can you confirm that the dust boots and inner seals that these guys sells fit on the Boxster S calipers ?? I went to their website and they list the seals made by stoptech as "guaranteed" to fit the stoptech brakes andd "possibly" fit the brembos.

I presume I'll need 4 x 40mm dust boots 4 x 40mm inner seals 4 x 36mm dust boots and 4 x 36mm inner seals for the front S brakes ?
Correct. To be sure just tell them you're ordering for your Boxster and they'll know right away what you need.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #9

ekam, insite, thanks for the feedback... just wanted to be sure - am doing the S brake upgrade using used calipers so wanted to rebuild them first.

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote