Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

Need help with safety gear for track

I have been slowly getting into tracking my '01 2.7L over the last 2 summers. Tons of fun! This summer it's time for some upgrades. Most important are a couple safety features. extended roll bar, harness, hans, seats. After some research the B-K extended roll bar seems to be the choice. With that installed do I need anything extra to attach a harness to? It seems like the Scroth 6 point harnesses are the way to go as well. Now with regard to seats. It would be nice to not have to replace the OEM ones but in order for the harness to work properly this is needed. Would love to get the GT3 Euro seats, but at $4500+ from suncoast this is not an option. I would consider a gently used set in the 2k-2500$ range. Does anyone know if and where this could be a possibility? My car has the sand beige interior so those are even harder to find. After looking through recaro, Sparco, and momo, there doesn't seem to be much in the tan color variety. I am looking for something that would be comfortable for both street and track. Any comment/suggestions are appreciated. Oh just ordered fabspeed 2ndary cat bypass and maxflo muffler with ECU tune. Being installed next week along with the extended oil pan. Will post results of that as well. TIA!

Klimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I am in the process of doing the same, here is what I've learned...

The BK roll bar extension is pretty standard for the Boxster for our needs.

The shoulder straps of the harness simply wrap around the existing Boxster roll bar (the horizontal piece under the hoop).

You'll need a performance or racing seat with harness holes in the seatback to install a 5/6 point harness and a hole for the submarine strap between your legs.

I'm looking at a Sparco EVO2 Plus/EVO3 or similar seat to start and then go from there. My car is also my DD so I need to keep the mods reasonable.

Let me know what you're thinking...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #3

msroadrace is currently selling a brand new pair of GT3 seats in beige for $3K.
No affiliation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996-GT3-Seats-NEW-Nat-Brn-99652198501T11-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae013a474QQitemZ39030 6440308QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
Pat

I'll sell my unused BK driver's side seat bracket for half of retail plus shipping. Have sub strap bar, too.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #5

Pat, sending PM.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree
msroadrace is currently selling a brand new pair of GT3 seats in beige for $3K.
Just to clarify, the seats are natural brown, not beige. I contacted msroadrace last week and this the only set they have.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I look at safety gear as a system. Whatever you choose make sure it will perform well with all other gear to work as designed. Example: Adding a harness without race seat risks spinal compression in an accident. Harness without HANS puts your neck at risk (see Dale Earnhart Sr.).

3 suggested levels of protection:

Full street car for occasional DE- BK roll bar extension, stock seats, stock 3pt belts, CG lock, fully operational airbags.

Dual purpose street car for DE/Time Trials- BK roll bar extension, racing seats, 3pt belts, CG lock, fully operational airbags, fire ext.

Full Competition car- Full cage, full containment racing seats, racing harness, HANS device, window nets, arm restraints in open car, fire suppression system, airbags removed.

There are lots of other possible combinations but most leave you exposed in one way or another. Check with your club safety marshal for further guidance. Choose your safety gear wisely.

Last edited by Topless; 05-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #8

Shoot. I think I would have pulled the trigger on those GT3 seats if they were sand beige.

Doesn anyone know of sport seats that are a match or close to that of Porsche sand beige interior. Seems every seat I come across that fits what I like only comes in red, blue, or black. My car is guards red, so a red seat could look pretty cool. A touch flashy though.

I don't mind flashy if it fits the purpose. track animal...At least it would give me an excuse to go nuts with suspension mods...LOL ahh the slippery slope.

Does the seat have to be HANS acceptable? Or do most seats take a HANS? Same with the harness. I am looking at the Schroth 6 pts??

Car goes in on Monday for the Fabspeed goodies. I will discuss this more with my tech at my shop. Chris Schuh at CS Motorsports does my work. I will let you know if he has any reccomendations that might be benefitial to those in my boat.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #9

After getting seats and harness, next most important piece of safety gear for the Boxster IMO is an Accusump. Personally, I'd install an oil pressure gauge too. Unless you don't mind replacing the engine. It's not fun, or cheap. Believe me.

Oh yeah. Try SunSET parts. They have better prices and service than Suncoast.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

"After getting seats and harness, next most important piece of safety gear for the Boxster IMO is an Accusump. Personally, I'd install an oil pressure gauge too. Unless you don't mind replacing the engine. It's not fun, or cheap. Believe me.

Oh yeah. Try SunSET parts. They have better prices and service than Suncoast."

Thanks. Yeah I was planning on doing that already.

Since finding a matching set of euro gt3 seats will prb be impossible, I have decided that black chairs will look jsut fine. So if anyone has any idea where I could get a set of slightly used black oem gt3 euro seats at a decent price I would greatly appreciate it. Might just have to wait and get lucky when a set comes across.