Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Oil Filter Leak?

I have noticed some drips of oil ranging from probably 10 drops to 2 drops to none on my driveway and around town after I have parked somewhere. I was under the car yesterday and wiped off the oil filter where another drop was hanging to fall. There was no drop waiting to take it's place but then I noticed today that there was about 10 drops on the driveway and I looked under the car and I could see another drop hanging from the oil filter. The ten drops would have fallen overnight and I can't get the car up on jacks right away so I am looking for help if anyone has an idea of what could cause the oil filter to leak? Overfill? Bad rubber ring by the seal? Or could it be from higher up?

Thanks

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Not uncommon. Most likely either the o-ring is pinched or cut, but the canister may not be tightened enough. I’d check to see the canister is tight first, if it is, then I’d plan on pulling the canister and putting a new o-ring and filter in and then topping up the oil level.