Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Finally decided on the GAHH top but...

I finally decided on the GAHH glass-window top for my 98. I am a little worried the acoustic canvas might stress the motor and arms and would rather go for the "regular" german A5 canvas (which is supposed to be the OEM).

I have been hearing "tricks" from installers such as leaving a wet blanket over the closed top for a couple of days (guess the car stays in the shop) to let the material stretch out properly or leaving the top up for 10-15 days for the same reason.

What has been your experience from your installers?
Anyone know where I can download the GAHH pdf installation instructions someone mentioned receiving with his top in another thread?
Any "look out for" pointers?

Georg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

i got the acoustic canvas top, had it installed in 5 hrs, including a couple of hours to "stretch" and drove it home the same day - 5.5 hrs. only "caution" was to avoid the car washes for a few days and not to open the top for 2 weeks.

been almost a year and zero issues with it. i highly doubt the motors would notice anything...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

How much difference did you have in noise? Engine? Wind? Road?

I had thought about this and then read a report of someone in Germany who said she could hear the motors work harder to close the acoustic top.

If you would not open the top for 2 weeks why did you need to let it stretch in the shop for 2 hrs?

Do you know if the installation was any differrent than installing the OEM part? Any additional parts or procedures? Have you downloaded the pdf installation instructions from somewhere?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Tony just noticed the carwash caution. That was a rotating brush caution or water in general?