Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #1

Underway with clutch/flywheel changeout

I just want to share my adventure into my big project.

Day 1
On Saturday I started the big task of removing the transmission. I bought a new DMF, clutch package and replacement parts for the transmission side. I already had the FW and Clutch package so when I ordered all the remaining parts from Pellican according to their kit I realized I ended up with some extra bits. Namely the tube guide comes with all the seals installed and the new DMF had the bearing in already. Why the kit has you buy the extra seals seems odd.

Having had the exhaust off many times that part was a piece of cake. Once the lower panel and transmission mounts came off then it was time to address the inner CV bolts. Those are a PITA. I ended up cutting a length of an allen key to get at these things....of course DUH I didn't think about rotation the wheel until today to gain better access to some.

Once those were off the transmission to engine bolts weren't too bad other than that weird 10mm triple square. What is the point of that oddball bolt? No room for any ratchet there so I gut down the tool and used a wrench. Once that was off I couldn't move the trans then another DUH...missed the one nut on the right side. Got that off and out came the transmission.

The clutch disk itself wasn't terribly old and visually looking like it had a lot of life left in it. However seeing as I was going through all this work it would be silly not to replace it. This is where I called it quits for the night.

Day 2
Pulled the DMF off. It was shot as I could rotate it beyond spec with little effort. Hopefully this solves the 3000rpm vibration as the front motor mount is newer and I inspected it last summer (still was 100%).

At this point my attention turned to the AOS. Although there was nothing wrong with the current one with 103K on the OD I decided to change it out and figured with the transmission out of the way it would be easier to address. As the 101projects mentioned the spring clamp is the biggest PITA. With the new AOS nearly installed I finally gave up on the clap and installed a more traditional adjustable hose clamp This way if I ever need to take it off again I don't have to deal with it.

The new DMF had a piece of tape on it with a message (clearly someone had bought it once before)..."this is a 5 speed flywheel. Don't let your parts man lie to you!". Hmm sounds like someone was doing a Boxster S and they sold him this. I bet once he/she got the old one off and they didn't look the same is when the note was left.

Anyways...Lifting the new DMF onto the crank is a challenge when your arms are getting tired! Once that was on came the fun of torquing down the flywheel bolts. Thank goodness for the degree wheel that you can print out from 101projects. With that done I bolted in the new clutch kit. I expected the alignment tool to be metal but it was plastic...whatever works. I already had the LN bearing and a new RMS installed on this car and they were both looking great...although not much to see on the bearing other than the cover.

I changed out the guide tube with it's seals and other bits and then spent one hour just trying to get the stupid trans back on the car. Although I was using the 101projects method of a regular jack to install I really will get a basic transmission jack becuase what a PITA that was. Finally it went in far enough that I could use the mounting bolts to help finish it along. Once that was in and the Slave Cylinder installed a quick clutch test showed it to be very smooth.

I've gotten as far as torquing the inner CV bolts but still need to re-assemble everything else. Hopefully the 17mm Hex socket I ordered will arrive today so I can change the gear oil too.

So far I have about 14 hours into it. The first time doing something I've never done before is always the longest.

I've babbled long enough.

Peace!

Chris

Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Carnut

Thank you for sharing!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Excellent. Always good to hear about others' experiences, including sharing little tips and tricks!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #4

Garage
When you're done, you can come up to Massachusetts and help me replace my MAF. I'll supply the whiskey and dancing girls !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-28-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
When you're done, you can come up to Massachusetts and help me replace my MAF. I'll supply the whiskey and dancing girls !
Sounds like a plan! :dance:

I just finished putting it back together. Started right up but the gas pedal was stuck so I knew the cable slipped off. Popped that back on and all was well. I do have a hard time getting it into reverse now...it isn't as smooth. However the whole thing was cold but I did drive it around the block and tried revers several times with success. I think I may just need to adjust the cable but I'll save that for later. It may also be better once the transmission oil heats up and I'll take it tomorrow to work to see how it is.

Chris
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Thanks for posting your experience changing the clutch components. My RMS is leaking just a little on my new to me 2000 S. I have been debating taking it to a shop or doing it myself. I think your post has encouraged me to try it myself.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
Thanks for posting your experience changing the clutch components. My RMS is leaking just a little on my new to me 2000 S. I have been debating taking it to a shop or doing it myself. I think your post has encouraged me to try it myself.
There are several things you should do while you are in there because of the shared labor. The IMS bearing for sure! Some folks have done it themselves and you will need a special puller too to get the old one out. The oil leak could also be from the bad IMS seal which also means it needs addressing.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #8

Minor update

I'm still struggling with getting reverse back. This morning I only have about 30 minutes to mess with it but I loosened up the adjustment screw and disconnected the ends at the shifter side. A little adjustment and I was able to engage reverse at the transmission but when I reconnected the shifter I couldn't get it to go.

I ran out of time so tonight I'll be able to mess with it. I'm not sure why I suddenly am having this trouble but I've read that others have too. What I may try to do is set the transmission into reverse then see where the cable lines up at the shifter.

If anyone has some tips on this let me know.

Thanks.
Chris
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #9

Got it sorted. Indeed I had knocked one of the links out of whack when inwas trying to get the cables off. I popped it back in and all was well. Drove it five miles and the 3200rpm shudder is gone.

Chris
Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Got it sorted. Indeed I had knocked one of the links out of whack when inwas trying to get the cables off. I popped it back in and all was well. Drove it five miles and the 3200rpm shudder is gone.
Chris

That is good to hear!! Seems to be your problem solver, hopefully mine, too!

Thanks again!

Later,
Andy
Old 04-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #11

great post!

i will be doing this some day in the near future as I have 120k on original clutch. I was wondering, how high did you have to jack the car up? I have some jack stands, but not sure if they are high enough to do this.

Also, did you have to remove the bumper?

thanks

John
john330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by john330
great post!

i will be doing this some day in the near future as I have 120k on original clutch. I was wondering, how high did you have to jack the car up? I have some jack stands, but not sure if they are high enough to do this.

Also, did you have to remove the bumper?

thanks

John
Hi John,
I put the front on ramps and the rear on jack stands (lowest setting was level).
That gave me plenty of room. I did remove the bumper but that is one of the easiest things to do. I've had the rear end off so many times that I can change out the muffler in just under an hour from start to finish. It's really easy!

Chris
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #13

How much time total would you say you spent doing the clutch?
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
How much time total would you say you spent doing the clutch?
Keep in mind this is the first clutch I've ever done on any car so I knew it was going to take me a while. I would estimate 14 hours but that includes the 1 hour of fighting with the transmission to get it lined back up with the engine and also replacing the AOS.

Knowing how everything goes together and what I would be running into I suspect now it would take 1/2 that time...especially if I didn't have to remove the flywheel.

Chris