Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #1

brake rotor, OEM Porsche or brand name?

Hello All

On my new old 2000 Boxster S that I just bought, I knew the brake were in need to be done. Dealer juste confirm it saying the disk are rotten.
So I've look around for part on Pelican parts, and there is a hugh diffrence from EOM Porsche disc (212$) and brand name from 74$ to 112$. Are the OEM worth that much diffrence?

thanks
wawa

wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #2

To my experience and not only with Porsche. The OEM rotors are always worth the extra money. There is usually a big difference in the quality of the steel that is used and the aftermarket discs tend to rust out or warp MUCH earlier than the OEM.
tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #3

Most of the suppliers you find on PelicanParts are actually manufacturers who also produce for Porsche.
The biggest difference you will find is if the "hat" is protected against corrosion or not.
If you go the cheaper route, you can paint it yourself with caliper paint, but you have to be very anal with that otherwise it will rust
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

I usually get the cheapos and spend 40 each to have them cryo treated. They last 2-3x longer than oem for less $$$$. I use Evans cryogenic in Cumming, ga (no affiliation).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #5

You're in Quebec, if you drive in the winter non-OEM rotors are going to rot. OEM has painted hat and mine's still fine after 2 winters.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #6

If anyone cares:
I just got a set of zinc plated rotors from R1 Concepts (no affiliation).
I went this route as I wanted to switch from cross drilled to slotted rotors (the cross drilled simply don't work on the track) and they were the only ones where I could find "reasonably priced" slotted rotors.
So far they are fine but I haven't had a track day on them yet
They offer zinc plated rotors for a very attractive price.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #7

I got mine from R1Concepts as well, went from OEM base rotors to cross-drilled and slotted

I don't track the car and for daily driver they are good, and they look fantastic on my car..
I actually loved them so much I got another set for my Lexus RX.. it's funny how no one notices I have them on Boxster.. but everyone sees them on Lexus I gues family SUV with slotted rotors looks good

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wawa, I got the zink coated Balo rotors, they are made in Germany and I think they are an OEM manufacturer. The quality is excellent, I think as good as the ones i took off my 2000 'S'. No complaints at all...I don't track. I only have 1500 miles on them so far. Anyone else have them with more mileage that can comment?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #9

Got to add, I dont do track day or anything like it, I dont plan on it soon. So its really a daily driver and only do about 15 000km per years. Yes I'm from Quebec City and I will use the car for winter. It was already use in winter, come with second set of wheel and winter tire.

humm hard choice. I know OEM is better, but 800$ or 1600$ (rotors and pad), with the other repair I need to do to make it run good. I might go on cheaper route for 2 years while I'm fixing the bugs, and then when needed again, put EOM brake.

I'm still reading more comment about it. Will help me choose!

thanks
wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Are the rear pads and rotors worn out or just rotten. The reason I ask is your car is same year as mine and ~mileage too. The rear rotors and pads last a long time so make sure the are actually worn. Remember the Genuine pads are probably made by TMD (Textar/Mintex/Pagid). The Mintex work great and are inexpensive, I have a set I took of because I don't like dust, but all put off a lot of dust unless you go to Akebono like I did. I'll look at the old Genuine Porsche I took off, they are either stamped Pagid or Jurid. You don't need to over spend, they all work great.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
I usually get the cheapos and spend 40 each to have them cryo treated. They last 2-3x longer than oem for less $$$$. I use Evans cryogenic in Cumming, ga (no affiliation).
Sorry about highjacking the thread, but I was curious (and suspected others might be as well) about this cryo treatment process. (I found a place locally that provides this service as well. They do engine parts, rotors, and bunches of other applications, car-related and otherwise.)

Regarding rotors, other than changes (improvement) in wear characteristics, have you noticed any other changes, for better or worse? Do the brakes feel any different? Perform any differently? Would this be a process as helpful to people that don’t track their cars as well as those that do? (I don’t, as of yet, though that’s potentially subject to change. )

Have you done this with any other components of your car? The local place I was reading up on advertises doing everything from valve springs, wrist pins and connecting rods, on up to blocks and heads…even complete engines! Just curious what other applications you’ve used (or considered using)...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #12

Garage
Check out E-Bay, I keep these in my watch list....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280657102893&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No affiliation, just a good deal on OEM (Brembo) discs at $200 a pair for cross drilled w/free shipping.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #13

frodo -

i haven't PERSONALLY worked w/ cryo treatments on anything other than rotors, although i know guys who swear by it in many applications. you mentioned cylinder heads & other stuff; i don't think this process does much for aluminum. at any rate, the idea with steel is that the cryo temperatures relax the crystalline lattice and allow it to re-form with a minimum of internal stress. this makes it less prone to cracking & wearing, especially in heat cycling applications.

as for the rotors, i buy the OP Parts version from ebs racing. they're $33 each for the 996/986S. i then send them off to get cryo treated for around $40. i paint the hats w/ ceramic black & install them.

they do SEEM better at the track, but i don't really have data to back that up. i DO however have data to back up the wear life. they just don't seem to wear, even w/ fairly aggressive pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Sorry about highjacking the thread, but I was curious (and suspected others might be as well) about this cryo treatment process. (I found a place locally that provides this service as well. They do engine parts, rotors, and bunches of other applications, car-related and otherwise.)

Regarding rotors, other than changes (improvement) in wear characteristics, have you noticed any other changes, for better or worse? Do the brakes feel any different? Perform any differently? Would this be a process as helpful to people that don’t track their cars as well as those that do? (I don’t, as of yet, though that’s potentially subject to change. )

Have you done this with any other components of your car? The local place I was reading up on advertises doing everything from valve springs, wrist pins and connecting rods, on up to blocks and heads…even complete engines! Just curious what other applications you’ve used (or considered using)...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #14

I put the Balo's on mine and they fit and performance is excellent...I see no difference between them and OEM Porsche part. They also made parts for Porsche...the rotors are made in Germany...

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote