Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to audisnawb
RMS - $20.40
IMS Bearing - $121.44 OEM Porsche= which I am not buying.
Intermediate Shaft Seal - $20.40
Misc Bolts $3.00

PAST: 2000 986 Porsche Boxster Biarritz White on Sierra Beige
audisnawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnawb
RMS - $20.40
IMS Bearing - $121.44 OEM Porsche= which I am not buying.
Intermediate Shaft Seal - $20.40
Misc Bolts $3.00

OK, sounds correct now.
I think $950 for labor is very reasonable for tiptronic cars. Means they just add 2.5hrs extra for tiptronic cars, it is very reasonable.

I think you are going to enjoy your car better after the repair (less worry). I can sleep better knowing that my IMS will not fail on me anytime soon with LN upgrade.

Per LN engineering recommendation, I'm running castrol syntec 5W40 after I got their IMS upgrade (Charles asked me to hold off on using castrol edge 5W40 as they don't have any experience with that new castrol at this moment, stick with old syntec for now).

Here is the quote from LN engineering website:
Use a higher viscosity motor oil. There are several Porsche approved oils that are 5w40, rather than Mobil 1 0w40. Use of an oil that isn't API SM-rated with more Zn and P or an oil with moly extreme pressure anti-wear additives may improve engine life. Castrol Syntec 5w40 is an API SL rated oil that carries Porsche approval and is an excellent choice, and easy to get locally. Motul 8100 5w40 is another excellent Porsche approved lubricant.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #23

Not to mention the fact the Castrol Edge 5W-40 is not yet available in North America............
Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Not to mention the fact the Castrol Edge 5W-40 is not yet available in North America............
It is available now:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CST0/SYNTEC540.oap?pt=N1189&ppt=C0252

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9036295&contentId=7067038
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #25

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that is not what has been previously labeled as “Castrol Edge”; it is Castrol Syntec, "updated with Edge technology”. According to their data sheets, “For years, you’ve depended on the power of Castrol SYNTEC to outperform conventional motor oils. Now, we’ve reformulated SYNTEC to outperform even itself."

The original "Edge" product line was never available in 5W-40 weight, and in fact was never available in North America in any weight higher than 10W-30, which is not an appropriate weight for use in any Porsche. The original “Edge” also held different ACEA ratings than this product line does, a further indication it is different as that would require total resubmission and testing under the ACEA testing protocols agreement. There is also a "Pro Edge" product line, which is listed as a "motorsports" product, which does have appropriate weights available, and has been getting some pretty interesting reviews and UoA's; but that is also not yet available in North America through normal distribution channels, although it has been showing up in online retailer’s websites at very stiff prices.

That said, as this new product holds ACEA A3, B3, B4 ratings that the original Syntec held, I would think it is probably a worth successor to the old Syntec 5W-40, but we will wait until we collect enough UoA’s on this newer version of Syntec before broadly suggesting it to customers, which I’m sure is why Charles suggested against using it at this time.