Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #1

conversion light kit

Is the conversion plug and play light kit just as good as the whole unit on the xeon lights cause the kits about 300 and one light is 450 whats the difference

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #2

Jeph's Opinion

Are you talking about those xenon retrofit conversion kits vs. Litronics (Porsche Xenon)? I'll assume you are since those cost about $300. Those are not as good as the entire Litronic unit (which can range from $450-600+ per unit on eBay [but typically sold as a pair]).

I purchased an H7 retrofit kit back in January for $295 on eBay (the brand was McCulloch). I thought it would be a relatively easy plug-n-play installation, but due to the xenon lamp being longer than the H7 bulb, minor reconstructive surgery was in order -surgery I wasn't willing to perform. (Basically there is a little shield that prevents direct-forward-shining light that needs to be removed or extended.)

If you buy the LITRONIC kit new, it should come with the a module that automatically levels the light. Retrofit kits can't do that. You don't HAVE to install that module to make the Litronics work, but it's required for the leveling. Aside from that, it's true plug-n-play!

If you're willing to work to get the retrofit kit in there, then go with ones that have the lowest temperature color (anything around 5000K). Anything above that will NOT be as luminescent and will probably get you pulled over.

I still have my unused H7 retrofit kit, if you or anyone is interested in it, send me a PM. It fits quite a few cars... (Audi, Mercedes, BMW, VW, -even a few Hyundais and Kias... PM for more & specific year/models.)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #3

The factory Kit is alot better then after market kits, first you get the amber free headlights, second you get the projectors, where you can intensify the beam pattern of the Xenon bulb. Aftermarket kits are economical, but the intallation would be quite hard, you may have to drill a hole on the backing of the headlight to feed the big chunk of harness to the bulb(I had done this on my A4).

I purchase a set from Suncoast Porsche down in Florida, expansive but well worth it, it took me less then 5 mins to plug in. Day vs Night difference! Just pop out and pop in. I didn't install the wiring harness cause I hardly use hi-beam.

One thing I didn't like about the lights is, I spend alot of hours adjusting the beam height and the angle. I am still not 100% happy with the beam after hours of adjustments.

And no the kit does not come with self leveling.

Last edited by TECH986ART; 06-10-2005 at 11:51 AM.
TECH986ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Watch Freak

As the former largest importer of xenon lighting to the US (sold the business last summer) I can tell you McCullah and all the other junk on eBay is garbage. I'm too tired to go into specifics but do yourself the favor and get a set of litronics for about $1,000 brand new. Best upgrade you can make. You drive a Porsche, not a Honda Civic. Please don't retrofit with Taiwan made junk. Thanks.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke
As the former largest importer of xenon lighting to the US (sold the business last summer) I can tell you McCullah and all the other junk on eBay is garbage. I'm too tired to go into specifics but do yourself the favor and get a set of litronics for about $1,000 brand new. Best upgrade you can make. You drive a Porsche, not a Honda Civic. Please don't retrofit with Taiwan made junk. Thanks.
Yeah, I realized it wasn't a high quality product after reading all the typos in the manual...

These are ACTUAL lines from the manual...

"FOR CERTAIN COUNTRY THIS PRODUCT IS INTEND USE FOR RACE OR EXHIBITION PURPOSE ONLY"

"The vehicle and its intended usage are the result of in depth, detail research by individual vehicle manufactures striving for the highest level of customer safety..."

"Even though our company strived to provide the customer with the highest levels of safe and some operation for our product, there may be times when some of the safely features offered by the vehicle manufacturer may not be maintained in exchange for the features and convenience offered by our products."

I'm not sure what that means. All this was on the very first page.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #6
Watch Freak

Yup, printed in Taiwan!

2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder