986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The turbo boxster left me stranded (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28362-turbo-boxster-left-me-stranded.html)

Gary in BR 04-03-2011 07:49 PM

The turbo boxster left me stranded

Hello everyone,

I've been kinda quiet lately but I need the boards help.

Tonight I was driving alone and when I hit my hi beams the engine dies.

A little back ground to catch everyone up. My 99 Boxster as 178,000 miles and a twin turbo conversion on the original 2.5 engine.

The car ran perfectly fine until I hit the high beams. As soon as I flashed the high beams the engine goes silent. I tri to restart it...nothing. I tried the old pop the clutch trick...nothing. I coasted to a stop. I have full electrical ac, lights, top, radio everything except starting the car.

Now fast forward 3 hours and 2 tow trucks later....have you ever tried putting a lowered car on a flatbed....dont.

I've looked at hoses, oil level, everything I can think of and it looks fine.

Here is my conclusion but I would like your opinions. I've noticed over the past few years my ignitioswitch has been going out. And I did say years, it's a little pain every few weeks I'd have to turn the key a few time to get her to fire up. So I have been running the original (one of the few original parts left) ignition switch.

When I try to start the car now it's is just as if the switch is not working everything works except no engine turning over, no starter, nothing.

If the switch finally died 100% tonight would that have stopped the engine?

I know a lot of electrical componets run though that little switch does the keeping the
car running go though there also?

Any ideas if the switch caused this?

Thanks in advance

Jake D 04-03-2011 07:57 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch could be the issue, but did you check all your fuses anyways?

Gary in BR 04-03-2011 08:12 PM

I glanced at the fuses on the side ofnthe road and they all looked good, I'll dig deeper tomorrow.

schoir 04-03-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I glanced at the fuses on the side ofnthe road and they all looked good, I'll dig deeper tomorrow.

Also double check your clutch interlock switch at the clutch pedal. You can bypass it with a jumper wire to see if the engine will turn over.

Regards, Maurice.

Topless 04-03-2011 08:53 PM

Sounds like a blown ignition fuse Gary, possibly a result of a worn out ign switch. Here is the fuse diagram:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/19388-1999-fuse-panel-diagram/

Gary in BR 04-04-2011 04:56 AM

It may be a fuse. The 1st fuse in row c was burnt. I'll be very happy once I put a new one in and she purrs again.

I'll update this afternoon. Thanks.

audisnawb 04-04-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in BR
It may be a fuse. The 1st fuse in row c was burnt. I'll be very happy once I put a new one in and she purrs again.

I'll update this afternoon. Thanks.

I hope this is all it is for you!!!!! Nothing like a 2 dollar fix :)

jhandy 04-04-2011 08:02 AM

Gary read my post from a few months back. Same issues even the C1 fuse.
Its from being lower than OEM.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/24922-car-died-today-ideas-cause.html

Gary in BR 04-04-2011 08:32 AM

That sounds like my issues exactly, I changed the fuse today and it popped as soon as I turned the ignition.

Did we find any pictures of where the splice is?

thanks

jhandy 04-04-2011 08:44 AM

If no one posts a picture, I will crawl under my car when I get home and get a pic if I can find it.
Surely someone has a wiring diagram.

jhandy 04-04-2011 06:45 PM

I cant get far enough under the car to take a picture. Sorry.

Gary in BR 04-07-2011 06:31 PM

Is it something that can be seen pretty easy if the car is up?

If so I'll put it up this weekend and see what I can find. Can you give me an idea where to look?

Thanks

nola911 04-07-2011 07:27 PM

Hey Gary, I bought a boxster last week. Im back baby!

If it would be any help, I can toss mine on the lift and take pictures of everything tomorrow evening. Im not sure where to find this wire though

You are welcome to come use the lift or come look under my car.

jhandy 04-07-2011 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
camshaft position sensor. There is one located on the top of the left cylinder head towards the front, and one on the right cylinder head towards the rear for the 5-chain motors used up to about 2001. For 2002 and later 3-chain motors, the sensor is located on the top of the left cylinder head towards the rear, and on the right cylinder head towards the front.

that is the location of the sensor. follow wires as they merge into a large harness.

C1 fuse is the engine electronics so it could be another sensor in the same line.

The wire shorted on the body.

Gary in BR 04-10-2011 09:13 AM

Thanks,

Max, I can't drive her, so I'll put it up here and see what I can do, if I can't I'll pass her on to Vinnie and let him get her back on the road

J thanks for the pictures now I get to get dirty!!

Gary in BR 05-14-2011 10:15 AM

Today is the day, Im finally getting around to putting the car up and looking for my short Any suggestions guys? I'll update as I progress

SoCalKen 05-16-2011 05:32 AM

About a year ago I had a problem with the ignition switch. all the electronics were wacked out. I was able to get the car started if the switch was moved "just right' but the AC didn't work among other things. Things that you wouldn't think are related. anyway, it turned out to be a $30 ignition part.
It was a pretty easy to replace it myself. You have to buy the part from the audi dealer though,
good luck
Ken

Gary in BR 05-16-2011 05:42 AM

When you had the ignition switch issue did you blow any fuses?

I know my switch is going out on me but I have just lived with it.
The thing that worries me is that I blew the C1 fuse.

Man I hope its just the switch

SoCalKen 05-16-2011 07:39 PM

No, I don't remember any fuses having been blown. But I do remember the radio didn't work, the airconditioning didn't work and I think some other stuff. I thought to myself how could this all go wrong through the the ignition switch? It was.
Maybe the blown fuse is a telling sign that it's not the switch but the statement that your switch was giving problems really brought back unpleasant memories.
Ken