Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
+1 agreed on all of the above, but my alltime favorite is when you take your car to a car wash & everyone closes the doors by pushing on the window

Handle the handles & sit on the seats!

I prefer one or two fingers on the black strip to close the door... no need to finger the paint or the glass haha.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #22

The first time I went to look at a Boxster I tried closing the frunk by dropping the hood. It didnt go so I tried it again. And again. I then started slamming it and it still wouldnt close. WTF?? My first thought was welp, this things a POS, the damn hood wont even close.

The salesman guy (at a Mazda dealership) told me to just push on the crest and voila, it closed...

I didn't buy that car anyways. It looked like a badger or a women with long fingernails attacked the interior.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #23

Garage
Just sprayed the latch with WD-40 when my frunk was really hard to close. Fixed it immediately.
Had to get used to the Porsche latches, though. I'm used to Saab latches, you just let the lid drop a couple of inches and it locks with a nice sounding thunk.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #24

no slamming of any doors on any of my cars, even the junk ones.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
You can try adjusting the stops under the hood. But you may get an uneven or too large of a gap between the top of the bumper and the front edge of the hood.
Okay, so this thread has made me take a second look at this issue. If it's a matter of adjusting the stops, it should be an easy fix. But no....at least on mine, stops aren't adjustable. I have some rubber bumpers on the hood and some recesses in the body to accept them. No, it looks like the only possible fix is removing the plastc cover to get access at the latch itself. I think I might try a little WD 40 first as mentioned above, but I don't think that'll solve my problem. Upon closer examination, when my hood is closed, it rests slightly below the top of the bumper.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #26
Pat

I had the same issue. I took off the plastic panel surrounding the mechanism, sprayed in some grease and it's been fine ever since. I just let the hood drop once it is past the strut resistance and it's the perfect amount of momentum.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #27

you want it resting slightly below the bumper otherwise you'll be whistling and I don't mean dixie

Have another look at the stops. At first they don't look adjustable, but indeed they are. They just screw in and out (clockwise in closer to trunk lid, counterclockwise extends them further). Be careful if they are brittle. You may want to condition them well first before attempting to twist.

That being said, adjusting the front latch is also easily done - 10mm socket IIRC but do so only in small increments. It certainly could have slipped down a bit over time.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #28

Thanks, good to know. I already get the occasional whistle from the fuel filler cap so unless I'm looking for some harmony, more whistling is not going to be good. My bumpers are still pretty pliable, so I'll try backing them off a hair.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #29

So, KELLY C...Come on back; you asked a good question and others benefited from the answer; some posters just gave you a more blunt answer than others; come on back and join the community and tell us if you got the issue solved. Bob - VA
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Actually, it's not good for the frunk lid to close it by placing one's fingers or palm on the crest, which is about two inches north of the latch. It might keep fingerprints off the paint, but it would be better to place the palm of your hand directly over the latch.

My mechanic has seen paint crack due to owners pushing down hard on the crest repeatedly instead pushing down on the painted surface directly over the latch.

Call me anal, but I'd rather wipe off a smudge than look at cracked paint.
I had my entire front end clear bra'd including the mirrors and half of the hood and fenders and so like Randall I just push on the hood below the crest. There are some adjustments that can be made but you just need to give it a gentle push and then wipe the car off. The clear bra helps to avoid as much smudging as without but its still the same idea.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobob
So, KELLY C...Come on back; you asked a good question and others benefited from the answer; some posters just gave you a more blunt answer than others; come on back and join the community and tell us if you got the issue solved. Bob - VA
Old thread but I bring it back up as it is beneficial to all. No adjustment needed - simply a slight push down once it's semi-closed. And, you can't be thin-skinned. Additionally, rather than force anything, I would simply check with my manual or dealer on the next stop in and have it explained - as it was here.