Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #1

Driving from NC to CO

HI!
I've read a few posts from the past about those that have driven their Boxsters a long distance, but wanted to get some more feedback or some advice from those that might not have seen those topics posted.

I'll FINALLY be driving my 2000 Boxster out to Colorado from NC in May. I have about 62K miles on it. It's been basically garaged for the past 2 years with the exception of last year when I took it in for it's oil change and tune up and drove it about 500 miles over the summer.

All that being said, what should I do to prep for this trip or what should I be on the lookout for. I have an ungodly fear that some sensor will go out mid Kansas and I'll be crap out of luck to find help.

Thoughts, comments, experiences?

Y'all are the best!
Kimberly

Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #2

i've made several 2500-mile roundtrips in my 01 now. check the fluids, change the oil, check air pressure in tires (and spare). take a hat, some sunscreen and sunglasses for the sunny top-down portions. have fun. get a motorclub membership if you're worried.

i have had something go "wrong" on each of my trips to dallas, but i don't attribute that to the drive just normal wear and tear that would have happened somewhere else.

- engine mount
- alternator
- cat rattle

i've learned to take an extra quart of oil because it's nearly impossible to find the correct weight in the small podunk towns that dot the highways. no matter the price, don't skimp on good gas (octane and brand). i also take a radar detector and handheld cb.

bring an ipad or smartphone to look on the forum and post if something does go wrong. decent chance someone else is out there you can go to lunch with while your car is being fixed - or you can find the info to fix it yourself.

bottom line is have fun. you'll waste a good trip thinking "what's going to happen to it" the whole way.

ps. avoid arkansas if possible - the roads are horrible! and don't forget to flash your lights at other p-cars. some of us still do it!

Last edited by tonycarreon; 03-29-2011 at 03:34 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #3

Cool

Just drove ten hours over the weekend. Remember to get out of the car and stretch.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

change your belt?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Try to give the car

several hundred miles of driving before you start out on the trip. Coming out of hibernation is a dangerous time for any car.

What I'd do is take a recent list of dealers in the states along your planned route. Not that you'll need them but just to put your mind at ease.

Check the tire pressure in your spare. Practice changing a tire to make sure you have all the right tools.

Enjoy the trip.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Hi Kimberly, has the car been well maintained? Has it been a reliable car? If you want a peace of mind and don't tend to do your own work then drive it some before you leave and take it to a good Indy to have it checked out. After that drive with confidence and enjoy the trip. I have a 2000 'S' with about 55k miles on it and want to do some trips to the NC mountains this spring and summer, I do my own work on the car and it is really had a great repair history, as good as any other car I have owned, I still might change the water pump before I start the trips but only because it is an old car and it is the only thing I can think on this particular car could go mechanically wrong (remember I have the repair history)...I'm also pretty knew to the Boxster and this could just be my ignorance.

Enjoy the trip!!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote