Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #1

Tips for applying door decals

I've bought from Suncoast the "PORSCHE" Boxster Spyder rocker decals, aka "side stripes," and now I am looking to install them myself. I know that some here have done it, got any tips for me? Thanks!

John

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #2

Like other tasks prep is the most important step.
obviously, ensure the surface is very, very, clean.
have some kind of plastic squeegee, a credit card will do in a pinch but far from ideal.
hang the decals on with low tack (blue/green painters) tape, in the position you want them.
have a spray bottle with (distilled preferred) water or a very weak water/soap mix. You will spray this on the car just before you apply the decal. It will give you more "open time" to ensure the decal is on straight and allow you to squeegee out air bubbles.

those are just some of the basics when working with vinyl. others will chime in with more I am certain.

Good luck! Photos of before and after please

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #3

Make sure you wash the car with some kind

of detergent or soap that will remove any wax on the car in the area you are applying the vinyl. I usually put stuff like this down without the application fluid but a weak soap/water mixture will work okay as well and allow you to float the decal if it needs to be moved. I usually put some strips of masking tape along the edge before applying it as an edge guide to align the top mask layer (the part over the decal) as I lay it down. I have some matte black vinyl at work I think I am going to use to cut out the "porsche" text or "boxster" script to apply to my car.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #4

More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los!
I've bought from Suncoast the "PORSCHE" Boxster Spyder rocker decals, aka "side stripes," and now I am looking to install them myself. I know that some here have done it, got any tips for me? Thanks!

John
John,

If I was applying a clear bra film to the car I would clean the area with alcohol after washing it thoroughly.

The soap solution I would use is 1 or 2 drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo in a 16oz. spray bottle. Too much soap will make it so slippery you'll have trouble.

As far as a squeegee to use I have many styles here but if you go to the stickercity web page I believe they have all the tools you need for a successful install. A credit card can scratch the vinyl or the paint, I would never use one, it's not flexible enough either. If you call stickercity ask for Dutch and tell him what you are attempting, he can give you the information you need.

Try and keep the area you are working in CLEAN. I say this because when you remove the backing from the vinyl it will create a static charge and pick up anything in the area like a magnet! I have on occasion washed the floor and worked on the car wet to insure no dust particles get attached to the fillm.

Spray not only the paint with the slip solution but spray the vinyl as you use the squeegee to keep it lubricated.

Good luck with it and take your time!