Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #1

Most expensive air filter ever...

After computing the math and figuring out my car was getting roughly 17mpg (I know that's probably about normal) and realizing I've had the car for 20K and haven't done any general maintenance besides oil changes I decided yesterday it was time for spark plugs and an air filter (don't have the $ for all new coils)

When trying to access the engine to change the air filter, my back window cracked. So now I'm looking at replacing the top. Can't get a break.

I did a search and there is a ton of threads about tops, but I can't seem the find the link that I was looking for.

Someone had posted a link to a GAHH top under a different "company," but the shipping addresses were the same and overall it looked to be the exact same top with a lesser warranty. Does anyone have the link or company name?

Overall I was happy to find my engine was completely dry and looked good, but I figure changing the damn air filter may end up costing me $1000 or more.

Thanks, Jake

Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

I don't know the company name but I'm always getting 16-17mpg on my 2000 base
Can changing air filter improve your MPG?

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #3

I'm not sure but paying $3.70 a gallon and only getting 17mpg sucks. I mainly changed those parts based on the fact that it wasn't going to hurt and would hopefully only improve things.

I found what I was looking for... autotopsdirect.com. I know GAHH is a forum sponsor, but I just don't have the $ to shell out for one.

I'm a boxster owner who can't afford to just throw endless $ at it like some on here. It's def not a good situation to be in, but so far I've managed to make due. I'm a teacher who got bumped and now am only making aide pay, but spring is quickly approaching which means that more jobs should be opening up and everything will be good again once I get back to teacher pay... that's if Senate bill 5 doesn't pass here in Ohio
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Carnut

Search some more! I am 100% sure I read somewhere in one of the forums about a guy who simply replaced the window for very little $$. Thread had pics and instructions as well!!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

I got my glass window top from Auto Tops Direct (not posting a link for the obvious reason) it was $600 for the A5 acoustic material
My installer said that it's very similar to the GAHH top
Instructions for install can be found in "101 projects for your Boxster"
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Summer is coming = top down...tape window when on budget and top needed for rain .

No really I think you can get just the replacement plastic, I've seen it and the stitching isn't great but it will do...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #7

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
I don't know the company name but I'm always getting 16-17mpg on my 2000 base
Can changing air filter improve your MPG?

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha,

With a proper clean filter the engine gets the clean air it wants and doesn't have to pull a vacuum against dirt in the filter element. The result is it richens the mixture and you use more fuel.

I prefer to not use the filters that give you more power because they have larger holes in them and use oil to catch dirt. The oil can mess up your MAF, plus if the filter lets more air in, it's letting in more dirt too. Not good imho. Good luck!

I am happy to say I am getting at least 26 mpg on my new 987 Base and it only has 1700+ miles on it so far, not even broken in!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I average 24mpg in my '04 base w/ 71k miles.

New filters & plugs should help.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

J Tinsby is exactly right. As a former ASE certified master tech who owned an import performance shop for 8 years I can tell you first hand how much changing a dirty air filter can help your MPG! The air filter and fuel filter are 2 of the most overlook serviceable items on cars.

And just because it was "supposed" to be done at your service appointment does not mean it was! Ask your tech if it was and to see the old part. Or when you drop it off ask them to keep the old part for inspection when you pick up the car. Most reputable shops check the oil filter for excess engine ware.

I ALWAYS kept the removed service parts (filter, plugs and the like) to show the customer. If they were excessively dirty or worn I would go on to explain to them why they need to replace the part more ofter.
Hawkeye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #10

I was hoping to find a nasty dirty air filter, but I really didnt find much. Overall it looked decent but I had already bought a new one so I replaced it anyways. I just went with an oe design one and not a K&N as everyone has a mixed opinion about it ruining the MAF.

I wrenched at an import shop for about 5 years and I too would keep customers parts around to one show them the condition they were in, and to also prove that I did actually change the parts I said they needed
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #11

Jake D,

What are you going to do with your back window? Are you going to replace the top or try to stitch a new window in.
I cracked mine too and so far could not find anybody in MI who is willing to sew in new window.
I tried to stitch it in myself but I gave up after 1/2 hr and got 3 stitches on the top + 10+ stitches on my fingers.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphan
Jake D,

What are you going to do with your back window? Are you going to replace the top or try to stitch a new window in.
I cracked mine too and so far could not find anybody in MI who is willing to sew in new window.
I tried to stitch it in myself but I gave up after 1/2 hr and got 3 stitches on the top + 10+ stitches on my fingers.
I think im going to order a top from autotopdirect and install myself. I've never installed a new top and from what I've read its a real ********************, but I used to wrench on cars and I have a buddy who does upholstery so if I get in a real pinch I can probably pic his brain. I asked him about sewing in a new window, but to do it right it probably needs to come off and I'm not going to go through the whole process to put my old top back on.

I've been wanting a glass window so I can tint it and make it match the car and I have my car on craigslist just in case someone really wants it. So a new top would also be a selling point and look better.

Think this is the route I'm gonna go unless I come up with something better. Just having a hard time finishing the order and forking out that much $ right now.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #13

EV's in Toledo, OH

Old world pro's - did a canvass boat cover for my dad decades ago.
I stumbled on them while looking to replace the back plastic window.
I use smoked strataglass (marine vinyl) and they sowed it in.
Looked good as new and completely watertight - about $300.

But then only made the canvass top look old ;(
So unless on a tight budget (or the canvass looks good) I would go with an entire new top with glass.

btw - EV's can do new leather interiors as well as tops. Always a few old Mercedes in the lot.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #14

It's great if you can install the top yourself. In the new book 101 Projects for your Boxster there is a primer on how to do it. Wayne may have even posted that section on the Pelican Parts site. You may want to check.

I distinctly remember that he cites top replacement as being a 5-wrench project meaning that it is among the most techically complicated things you can do to the car -- more so than pulling the engine. Might be worth reading that article before you dive it. Good luck!

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote