Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #1

"Spindle" Suspension Problem

Last summer, I had my tie rod end replaced.

In the Fall, some kid backed into the front end, but this just seemed to be cosmetic. I mention this because I don't know if this could or couldn't have caused my problem. A few weeks later, my front left wheel felt like it was about to fall off.

I took her back to the mechanic that did the tie rod end and at first he thought it was a bad tie rod end that he installed. But, he called back and said after he took it off he noticed a round aluminum bushing missing where the tie rod goes into the spindle.

I'm no mechnic so I don't know (yet) what the hell a spindle is or even if that round thing is called a bushing. And the mechanic said he can't find this bushing and that it might even be called something different.

Are there any experts out there who can help me with what these parts are called and where to find them?

Thanks for your time,
Tim

rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #2

Why not look at one of the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard

Are there any experts out there who can help me with what these parts are called and where to find them?

Thanks for your time,
Tim
in one of the online PETs floating around. They give pictures and even part numbers.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/originalparts/originalpartscatalogue/
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

tim -

without this bushing, you would have known IMMEDIATELY that something was very wrong when you drove your car.

the tie rod end has a tapered pin that goes into a steel bushing (an insert pressed into the aluminum wheel carrier). sometimes, when the tie rod is pressed out of the wheel carrier, the bushing will come out with it.

the ONLY way for this to get 'lost' is if your mechanic lost it; this part cannot be removed without first pressing the tie rod out of the wheel carrier.

further, the hole in the wheel carrier gets HUGE when the bushing is removed. it goes from about 1/2" to about a full inch. this means that if the tie rod pin is inserted into the hole WITHOUT the bushing, there will be 1/2" of slop at the wheel carrier. the result would be a front wheel that basically acts like one of the crazy wheels on a bad shopping cart.

if he assembled your car without this piece, he is an absolute fool and has ZERO business touching your car.

bad news: that bushing is not available as a stand alone part.

good news: i will have an extra one next weekend.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

This sounds right on. Thank You for the Advice!
rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard
This sounds right on. Thank You for the Advice!

Tim -

i have the part pulled if you need it. PM me your address.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote