Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
Quick Release Oil Drain Plug

I've used these on my other cars (Miata and Explorer) for years. I like them because the oil goes exactly where you want it to with the screw on hose that opens the valve (there are other designs too). There's no chance of oil squirting or gushing in the wrong direction. No oil on your gloves; no looking for dropped plugs in the catch pan; no stripping plugs, replacing washers, etc.

Has anyone used one of these on their Box? If not, why not?

(yes, I did a search; couldn't find anything)

baxster is offline  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,177
This is a really bad idea...... M96/97 oil drain's are already very low to the ground, even before you change to a better handling suspension setup. All of these "easy drain" contraptions hang down even further, inviting getting it knocked off and ending up with a disaster.

Don’t do it.............
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
knock-offs are never good.

How well does an oil drain pump work on a Box?
baxster is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 828
Quick release drain plug, you mean as opposed to the tedious, incredibly time consuming task of backing a bolt out of a threaded socket?

You want to save time watch less reruns and don't spend too much time on the ol net, keep the drain plug substantial, there are enough things that can make a M96 engine retire early...
eightsandaces is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
knock-offs are never good.

How well does an oil drain pump work on a Box?
You own a Boxster, man...bite the bullet, jack it up/ramp it/whatever, get underneath it, unscrew the drain plug. Won't need a pump...it'll GUSH out all by itself. GET YER HANDS DIRTY, DUDE.
Frodo is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
knock-offs are never good.

How well does an oil drain pump work on a Box?
Pumps don't work well at all on most cars; usually, there is something in the way of the line getting to the bottom of the sump, leaving crud behind. They put drain plugs on these things for a reason.................
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
Unbolting a drain bolt takes 20 seconds. Flipping a quick release drain valve takes about one second. No disrespect, but if you need to save 19 seconds just pay someone else to do your oil changes!

Last edited by JTP; 02-27-2011 at 08:05 AM.
JTP is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Quick release drain plug, you mean as opposed to the tedious, incredibly time consuming task of backing a bolt out of a threaded socket?

You want to save time watch less reruns and don't spend too much time on the ol net, keep the drain plug substantial, there are enough things that can make a M96 engine retire early...
you make me laugh... i kill you last

PS: you average 33 posts per month. I average 20 per month. what things do you do to save time on your car because of all the time you spend on the "ol net"?

Last edited by baxster; 02-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
baxster is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
It's amazing how a simple question can evoke such emotional responses. JFP in PA had a good answer going until he blew it in his last sentence. I'm not sure why the rest of you even bothered responding. I could give reasons for my question, but defending myself would only justify your remarks.

Last edited by baxster; 02-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.
baxster is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,177
"They put drain plugs on these things for a reason................."

The reason they use drain plugs is they are the simplest and most idiot-resistant method of getting all the old oil and crud out of the engine. They have to be idiot-resistant because, unfortunately, you can’t make things idiot-proof because God seems to side with the idiots……….
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
"They put drain plugs on these things for a reason................."

The reason they use drain plugs is they are the simplest and most idiot-resistant method of getting all the old oil and crud out of the engine. They have to be idiot-resistant because, unfortunately, you can’t make things idiot-proof because God seems to side with the idiots……….
snappy comeback!! are you saying god is on your side?

You say that oil drain pumps don't get the crud out. That would be a good reason to use the plug. I haven't heard that before but I'm not doubting it.
baxster is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,177
No, I’m saying He (or She) seems to side with those that find new and often unique ways to screw up an otherwise proven system……..
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Last edited by JFP in PA; 02-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.
JFP in PA is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
you make me laugh... i kill you last

PS: you average 33 posts per month
. I average 20 per month. what things do you do to save time on your car because of all the time you spend on the "ol net"?

I have permanent nerve damage, I'm disabled after 36 years of employment, when I drive my Boxster my feet go numb. I have a lot of time idle due to my ailment, as a result I like to read Porsche stuff. Check my post times columbo, I live in the EST time zone, you'll find a lot at 3AM, not much else to do..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
eightsandaces is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/232525-speed-bumps-low-car-dont-mix-youll-get.html?highlight=drain+plug

Mind you that's the magnetic drain plug, it's a 911 and the car is slammed, but still. Leave it when it ain't broke.
ekam is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/232525-speed-bumps-low-car-dont-mix-youll-get.html?highlight=drain+plug

Mind you that's the magnetic drain plug, it's a 911 and the car is slammed, but still. Leave it when it ain't broke.
The guy said it only stuck out 1/4 inch from the oil pan instead of being flush with the oil pan like the oem plug. If that's the case, I would think the stock oil pan is prone to breaking open from being hit. Maybe a skid plate is a good upgrade for the box.

I've read several posts about Box owners upgrading to the magnetic plug. I guess they must all be flush like the stock plug because there weren't any comments about the owners endangering their car with such a foolish idea.

Last edited by baxster; 02-27-2011 at 07:48 PM.
baxster is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,177


__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95
above picture

I'm guessing that's a magnetic oil drain plug. Is there a reason for posting the pic?
baxster is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Bax,

You have received your feedback. Resist the urge to make this a hissy fit.

Move on.

Thanks

BL
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 95







Last edited by baxster; 03-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
baxster is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Steve Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,522
Mr baxster's acidic comments has a lot in common with the famous Phantom (Jake Raby's nemesis) of a couple of years ago.......
Perhaps I'm just getting old and cynical.

__________________
2001 Boxster S (triple black). Sleeping easier with LN Engineering/Flat 6 IMS upgrade, low temp thermostat & underspeed pulley.
2001 MV Agusta F4.
Steve Tinker is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page