Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Finally got my car out today! A few thoughts on the 987

Bought an 05 S with 20K miles on it back in mid January. Finally, after over a month of being in the garage due to weather, got the car out today with the top down today. A nice surprise in mid Feb in the Philly area for sure. A few observations compared to my two previous 986 cars. First, the 987 feels a bit bigger, more stable and slightly more refined. I love the car so far and was very surprised at how quiet is is driving with the top up, it almost passes for a hardtop or regular coupe. Car is fast and it does so very calmly and without making the driver aware of the speeds, I can see how you can get speeding tickets in this car without driving. I like the 18" wheels and the ride is nice and firm, I did not put it in sport mode, that will have to wait till tomorrow. The stereo is pretty weak but it would take a lot of stereo to over power the wind at highway speeds.

I do have a question...when I am above 45-50mph, top down, I notice a very constant and annoying whistle. It's not mechanical but more like the side mirrors maybe? Any thoughts, it sounds to be wind related. (searched the Boxster forums and it seems to be a very common issue with a few fixes)

I like the car, a lot, and can see using it a lot more now that I got it out. I won't abuse the car in salt covered roads but this car will not be a garage queen anymore.

They are calling for almost 70 tomorrow. I will out out driving around taking advantage of the beautiful weather.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Yeah, I had my 06 out earlier this week also, and promptly proceeded to scrape the bottom of my newly-painted bumper cover.......Damn! I guess it was inevitable.

I haven't hand any whistling problem with my car. What sound package does your car have, base, plus, or Bose? I have the plus, and it actually sounds pretty good, with decent base from the door, but it deperately needs some rear speakers/base.

I assume you have PASM? I don't like the standard PSM when I'm trying to have fun on a nice warm day. It steps in WAY too early, cutting the throttle, and not allowing any "rotation". My next car I'll have to look into PASM, as it would be nice to still have a "safety net" vs. just turning it off like I do now. I'm looking forward to the drive home tonite!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Garage
me to :)

bought my new to me 08 S in late december. i had a few rides before we were getting snow every wednesday. a few weeks ago i couldn't take it any longer and took it out. it's black, but not now. the snow is melting, puddles are all over, but so am i. i'm enjoying myself. car washes will come when it gets a little warmer.
dan
TWODAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
SeaNile! Glad to see we sent some warm air up your way. I was worried you might never drive that car! You've owned many of these cars, is the noise new to you? Is it a wind whistle or a bottle top flute noise? You know I have that flute noise in my 2000 'S' but I've not heard of 987s having it. I found a guy that is selling parts and will replace several parts one at a time under the right fender.

Let me know...and glad you got out!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

It's a noise I've never heard before on these cars. It is an innocent but very annoying whistle that I am 99% sure is the side view mirrors. Stopped for gas today, moved the windows around a bit and the noise was gone for a few miles. I'll call the dealer on Tuesday and see if they offer a fix since I know the issue. If they do that will be great, if not I'll probably do what is recommended as a quick fix which is caulk in the inner most 1/3 of the mirror. The car is pretty cool and seems to have two personalities, when you drive smoothly and shift before 4K the car is really comfortable. Let the RPM's climb over 4500 and the car really feels like a sports car. I can easily see long and comfortable drives in this car. Now I just need a place to go.

I'll keep this car as clean as possible but I may have just found my new DD unless the roads and forecast are terrible. These cars are meant and need to be driven. I realize this every time I get in this car.

The stereo is really pathetic, especially in this level car. I'm not going to upgrade it as it costs too much $$$.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
I assume you have PASM? I don't like the standard PSM when I'm trying to have fun on a nice warm day. It steps in WAY too early, cutting the throttle, and not allowing any "rotation". My next car I'll have to look into PASM, as it would be nice to still have a "safety net" vs. just turning it off like I do now. I'm looking forward to the drive home tonite!
PASM- Porsche Active Suspension Management (also makes the car 10mm lower than a non-PASM car).

PSM-Porsche Stability Management- standard on all 987's.

Keep in mind, when you turn "off" the PSM, it will turn back "on" under servere or emergency situations.

If your PSM is kicking in a lot, check simple things like tread wear and tire pressures. You can also do things to improve your "line" and be more smooth with throttle and steering inputs.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Thanks, I am aware of the difference between PSM and PASM, and how to prevent it from kicking in, but sometimes I want to have a bit of fun without a computer nanny telling me what to do. PSM wont let the tail step out one bit, while PASM in "sport" should allow some, while still saving you from a spin if you get it wrong.

PSM doesn't turn back on, so no stability or traction control with it off, and the ABS won't kick in until two wheels start to lock, instead of one. Oh well, it every car there's something you'd like to change.

Steve
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #8

I drove a base 987 - 05 - with PASM and an 06 S with it. It seemed to make a significant improvement with the base model but was just so-so on the S. I think the standard S settings are fairly close to the PASM sport settings, and I didn't think it was worth the huge price tag on the S.
Just my opinion, worth what it is!!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #9

So Kurt, are you saying there is a difference in the PSM settings on an S vs. the base model? Does your S allow you to "hang the tail" a bit before kicking in? I was hoping PASM would be a big improvement, but I guess it'll save me some money on my next Boxster if it's not!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
PSM doesn't turn back on
Steve, you are incorrect, and need to read your Owner's Manual.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #11

I just read the manual ( again ), and nowhere does it state that PSM is turned back on, this is born out by my practical experience. What it does state, is that when one of the two front wheels enter the ABS range, the vehicle is stabilized. So as soon as your out of the ABS, PSM is off again. In the oversteer condition I was describing, PSM won't ever kick in after being turned off ( though is still prevents "one-sided spinning" ).
BTW, I didn't intend to come across as confrontational in my previous post.

Steve

Last edited by stephen wilson; 02-20-2011 at 06:03 AM.