Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Lowered 987 Question

I'm considering a Cayman S but it's been lowered. That won't be a good thing on Omaha streets. Would changing the springs be the only thing needed to get it back to std ride height or do the struts need to be changed too? Also, in looking at the Bentley, it appears removing the struts are not just 3 bolts on top and 2 at the bottom. Looks kind of complicated. Threads I've looked at don't give much detail and I didn't see anything on Pedro's web page. How tough would this job be? I don't have a spring compressor or a ball joint thing-a-ma-jig. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I have 0 experience in this area and I want to know what's involved. There are lots of Caymans out there, so need to determine if I should pass on this one. Thanks.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #2

It really depends on how it's been lowered? Most people opt for coilovers like the PSS9 system. Those are adjustable and you should be able to get 1-2" of play between the highest and lowest settings. This is a good solution for someone who wants to lower their car on track days and then raise it for the street. Most setups come with a couple of spanners for this purpose. Of course, if you change it from min to max, it is likely that the alignment is going to be compromised.

If they just did lowering springs, then no, you should not need new struts, but it is likely not DIY if you have little wrench experience. Does require spring compressor and likely Porsche ball joint separator tool.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I'm considering a Cayman S but it's been lowered. That won't be a good thing on Omaha streets. Would changing the springs be the only thing needed to get it back to std ride height or do the struts need to be changed too? Also, in looking at the Bentley, it appears removing the struts are not just 3 bolts on top and 2 at the bottom. Looks kind of complicated. Threads I've looked at don't give much detail and I didn't see anything on Pedro's web page. How tough would this job be? I don't have a spring compressor or a ball joint thing-a-ma-jig. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I have 0 experience in this area and I want to know what's involved. There are lots of Caymans out there, so need to determine if I should pass on this one. Thanks.

Assuming that all the owner did was install after-market lowering springs, then the problem can easily be rectified by simply reinstalling the oem springs. This, however, is not a simple job. And it should only be performed by a knowledgeable person . Also, the vehicle will have to be realigned as well . On the chance that adjustable coilovers were installed, then the ride height can easily be changed via the adjustable perch. Again, you want a knowledgeable person to make this adjustment also.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #4

lowered Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Like Byron and Johnny mentioned, all depends how the car was lowered. You may be lucky and find a set of coilovers on the Cayman, if so it will be very easy to get it to standard height, however you will still an alignment.

Why don't you post a picture of one of the struts, this way we can find out what does the Cayman has.

If the previous owner installed shorter springs, you better off taking it to someone that knows what he is doing, because the rear stuts are a bear to remove... (unless they are coilovers)...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Also, if it has coilovers, you should do a corner weight balance as well.
baxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #6

Thx for all the responses. I'm definitely glad I asked because it sounds as complicated as I thought. I don't know how it's been lowered, I'm just window shopping at this time. I like the combination of options, color, price, and location on this one, but if it's going to cost a couple girr in parts and labor to get it back to std, I can look elsewhere. I just got my Audi TT project sold today, so I can step up my Cayman search. :dance:
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
Also, if it has coilovers, you should do a corner weight balance as well.
If it has adjustable drop-links .