Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Cayman premium disappearing?

A quick search on Craig’s List in the Los Angeles area shows that the Cayman price premium with respect to Boxsters is disappearing. There are several 2007 Caymans in the $25-30k price range, and an equal number of Boxsters in this same price range. It appears in 10 years one will be able to pick up a $10k Cayman, much like buying a 1998 Boxster today.

surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #2

I actually think Cayman will deprecate faster than Boxster.
There is somethink in the look of boxster with top down (topless boxster) that makes you smile

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

I've been watching Cayman prices for the last 2 months and agree their prices are coming down, esp the 07 base models. Have also seen a few08 base models that were quite low priced. The S models still seem to hold their value.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #4

i believe that after full depreciation the boxster drop top will be worth more than the caymans fixed roof. Porsche is the only company that sells the coupe for more than the drop top .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

So Boxster S is the way to go?
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
So Boxster S is the way to go?

Always has been always will. Why does anyone pay more for a 987 non S with the extra cost option of a non removable top?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

The Cayman has more HP than the Boxster.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #8

I second this - i've been looking at 07 Cayman base and their prices are dropping like a rock.

Still love my Boxster, but a hard top is preferred when parked in the city of San Francisco (to avoid top slashers)!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

Removeable Hard Top - Best of Both Worlds

While I think the Cayman is a great car, a Boxster with the removeable hard top is like having two cars.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Not if you wisely reinvest that $5k you saved buying new Box over Cay!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Not if you wisely reinvest that $5k you saved buying new Box over Cay!
May be possible, but the bump in HP is why Porsche charges more for a Cayman than a Boxster.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Always has been always will. Why does anyone pay more for a 987 non S with the extra cost option of a non removable top?
Maybe they buy the Cayman over the Boxster because (a) they like the styling and security better, (b) they live in a climate where it is either too hot or too cold for top-down driving all but a couple of times a year, (c) the person's spouse feels top-down driving messes up her hair, or (d) they feel that the convertible top will need replacement in a few years from all the chemicals, salt, cinders, and crap they put on the roads here. Oh, and maybe they didn't actually pay any premium over the Boxster model because maybe the dealer was overstocked with Caymans.

Maybe they bought the base model over the "S" because (a) the extra 0.8 second performance advantage to 60 mph wasn't worth the $10K premium, especially when driving on public highways, (b) they were happy with the performance of the base model, or (c) because nobody they know outside this forum knows the difference between a base model and an "S" anyway -- all the public knows is that it is a "Porsh."
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I sure couldn't feel it. I had an 09 Cayman S loaner - 3.4 as opposed to my 06 3.2 - and I could not feel any extra power in the Cayman.
I did, however, definitely feel the added high weight of the roof and large back glass.
I could really feel the increased center of gravity height and was not wishing I could keep the Cayman rather than getting my Box back!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
Maybe they bought the base model over the "S" because (a) the extra 0.8 second performance advantage to 60 mph wasn't worth the $10K premium, especially when driving on public highways
If that extra punch is the only reason they had for an "S", they made the right choice.

Quote:
all the public knows is that it is a "Porsh."
I love it!!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Maybe they buy the Cayman over the Boxster because (a) they like the styling and security better, (b) they live in a climate where it is either too hot or too cold for top-down driving all but a couple of times a year, (c) the person's spouse feels top-down driving messes up her hair, or (d) they feel that the convertible top will need replacement in a few years from all the chemicals, salt, cinders, and crap they put on the roads here. Oh, and maybe they didn't actually pay any premium over the Boxster model because maybe the dealer was overstocked with Caymans.

Maybe they bought the base model over the "S" because (a) the extra 0.8 second performance advantage to 60 mph wasn't worth the $10K premium, especially when driving on public highways, (b) they were happy with the performance of the base model, or (c) because nobody they know outside this forum knows the difference between a base model and an "S" anyway -- all the public knows is that it is a "Porsh."
Very good points, John. I am one of those who went from a Boxster to a Cayman. I live in a very warm climate and top down driving is no longer appealing to me. My poor old skin just doesn't like the sun. Also, even though I was very meticulous about the fabric top, it was beginning to look a little shabby with that fold mark on each side. I used RaggTop on it regularly but it was still going down hill. I sold my '03 S privately and bought a new '08 Cayman S. The market was quite soft at the time and I was able to buy the Cayman at a nice discount. I really enjoyed the '03 Boxster S and I also love my '08 Cayman S. They both drive great.

Norm

Last edited by Norminhouston; 02-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote