Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

Question 2004 vs 2005 engines

For Christmas, my wonderfull wife gave me the book "Porsche Boxster Story: The Entire Developement History". Having read it, there is something I wanted to bring up.

On page 151 the author (Paul Frere) indicates that the only real difference between the 2004 and 2005 engines is a redesigned intake and exhaust system. This gives the 2.7 liter engine a jump from 225 hp (192 torque) to 237 hp (and 199 torque). It is a 20 hp (7 torque) gain for the 3.2 Liter engine.

So my question is this: I have a 2004 2.7 L engine. If I were to get used OEM parts from a 2005 2.7 L engine, would they be a direct bolt on change? Would I have to make any modifications? Any changes to the electronics? What about 2006, 2007 or later parts?

backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #2

Garage
I think the power gains were from improved exhaust system & air intake upstream of the MAF & ECU retuning like Porsche did for the 2003 models (along with Vario-Cam+) I don't know what you can adapt on the intake side or exhaust but if you can trial fit the components before you buy it might be worthwhile, but don't pay more than aftermarket exhaust parts cost. Then you can try ECU tuning for your new combination. Underdrive crank pulley will be effective no matter what you do.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote