Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
Pca

Finally joined the Citrus. I probably should have asked before I joined but anything you guys can share about the club? I'd like to get the most out of it I can.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #2

I joined 2 months ago and went to a function at Orlando Brewery on Division St. and it was pretty good. Looking to go to the once a month meetings they have at Orlando Porsche for tech stuff. Got my magazine from PCA and a newsletter from Citrus. Not to sure about the PCA website...I find more info here and once you post a problem you get numerous responses. PCA's takes 2 weeks and it's more like sterile answers to me.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

PCA is more about local events with other Porsche owners. Volunteer to help out with your region. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuditis
... I'd like to get the most out of it I can. ...
It's like any other volunteer organization...

The more you (and other members put into it) put into it, the more you can all get out of it. Personally, we've met some fantastic people thru our club including some of our closest friends. Though my favorite events are car related, there are a numerous 'social' events the wife enjoys. Slowly (and deliberately) these events are converting her to enjoy the car events more too

It's the people*... who have a common bond thru cars.

* as w/ any group though, there's usually a few assh0les too. For the most part they only come to a few events and then disappear
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #5

bermuditis,

Welcome!

I've been a member of the Citrus Region PCA for about three years now. Fantastic bunch of people.

While not the most active PCA region in the country, there seems to be at least one social event each month in addition to the monthly club meeting (usually the first monday of the month at Porsche of Orlando).

I tend to participate in the autocross and track related events more than anything else with the PCA. But then I belong to multiple car clubs which keeps me quite active, and unfortunately I can't do everything!

jcb, not much "tech talk" happens at the monthly meeting. It is a chance to do a bit of socializing, review the state of the club, and discuss any past and upcoming events. It is short and sweet and iirc they still head out for dinner someplace following the meeting.

Other benefits to a PCA membership include discounts at most local independent mechanics as well as the dealer. My membership paid for itself in the first year with the discounts I took advantage of. It will also get you into the PCA car corals at the big races like the 24 hours at Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring.

I hope to meet you at a local PCA event in the near future,

kabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
It's the people*... who have a common bond thru cars.

* as w/ any group though, there's usually a few assh0les too. For the most part they only come to a few events and then disappear
Hahah, very true!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Is the West Palm Beach area considered the Citrus Region? I am moving there in a couple weeks, but if the events are all in Orlando (a bit of a hike) then perhaps it won't be worth the cost?
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #7

I think WPB is served by the Gold Coast chapter. Of course you will always be welcome at any PCA chapter event Gold Coast seems to be just as active as Citrus, I do know they organizes a lot of Driver Education events through out the year.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
thanks to all who replied. I will look forward to meeting you soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #9

Thumbs up Boxster Register

PCA (Advocate Bob Purgason and friends) just completely reworked the PCA Boxster Register. Recommend joining. New website. Cayman Register already done and also worth joining. As I did just to keep an eye on them! Both are free and PCA members only.

PCA website re-work is either not done or not done well. I think they promised the Tech section was going to evolve/improve.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike. We've worked really hard on those Registers, in an effort to add value to being a PCA member. We are very proud of what we've accomplished, and I believe we are still in our infancy. Lots of great stuff to come.
Gator Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #11

Garage
i left the title blank because i just wasn't sure i could convey a nice message in one line... it takes a bit to describe the frustration of an organization such as PCA. they have a forum but you can't get to it unless you are a member why would i want to be a member until i own a porsche?( the bmw moa is just as asinine) if you were in my position, (7 hours drive to the closest region) and were interested in buying a previously loved porsche, it would be nice to see the classifieds section in the forum, but its all under lock and key...

to me the organization smacks of elitism, nose high in the air, i have no time for that. before the internet became what it is, the pca or bmwmoa both provide a valuable resource... but when you can find an internet board like this one, pelicanparts and renntech, what does the pca really provide?

yeah i was pissed,

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #12

West Palm Beach is ...

... under the Gold Coast Region's umbrella.
www.GoldCoastRegion.org
I'm a member of the BOD and we are very active in all types of vents including, but not limited to: Socials (such as Picnic, Drives), AX (with at least 7 events/year), DE (with a couple of events each at Sebring, Homestead and PBIR, including night events in the summer), Rally, Get togethers, etc., and last but not least the largest Porsche Club Race in the World: The 48 Hours at Sebring on February 3 - 6. http://www.48hoursatsebring.com/
As people have said before. Get involved and you will enjoy it to the max.
For those that have expressed having issued with the Club, get involved as well. It's the only way YOU can help change it.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eighty6
Is the West Palm Beach area considered the Citrus Region? I am moving there in a couple weeks, but if the events are all in Orlando (a bit of a hike) then perhaps it won't be worth the cost?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by litteng
i left the title blank because i just wasn't sure i could convey a nice message in one line... it takes a bit to describe the frustration of an organization such as PCA. they have a forum but you can't get to it unless you are a member why would i want to be a member until i own a porsche?( the bmw moa is just as asinine) if you were in my position, (7 hours drive to the closest region) and were interested in buying a previously loved porsche, it would be nice to see the classifieds section in the forum, but its all under lock and key...

to me the organization smacks of elitism, nose high in the air, i have no time for that. before the internet became what it is, the pca or bmwmoa both provide a valuable resource... but when you can find an internet board like this one, pelicanparts and renntech, what does the pca really provide?

yeah i was pissed,
litteng,

I am the guy who created both the Cayman and Boxster Registers. I run the Cayman Register. I helped the Boxster Team get the software up and running and remain an advisor to them. I have also been a PCA member since 1995, and on and off between 1990-1994. Because of this, I think I am in a pretty good position to reply to your comments.

'Elitist' is not a word that I would use to describe anyone I've met through the PCA, or the club itself. It's a volunteer club, so the leaders are usually really hard core car enthusisasts. This can vary from region to region of course, and I'm sure there are some reall buttheads in the club, like any work place or friendship circle.

So why did we lock down the Cayman and Boxster registers? Not to be elite. We did this to protect our members privacy. We've found that many of our members don't post or share pictures because they don't want to put private information on the worlde wide web for the whole world to see.

Example 1: At my 2nd track event ever, I saw a guy tapping up his license plate. I couldn't figure out why, so I asked him, "Hey man, why you doint that?" He pointed at the camera hanging around my neck and said, "That's why. You see how many cameras there are at these events....? I don't want a picture of my car on a race track landing on the internet."

Example 2: I video record my track sessions, so I can reflect, review and learn from them. I always ask my instructors if they are OK with that. One time I was told, "I'd rather you not. The last thing I need is a video of me instrictuing on the internet."

Example 3: One time at another open forum we organized a group ride through the mountain roads of the Catskills. We had 30+ Porsches signed up to participate. We posted the maps of our route in the forums, where we would meet, when, where we would stop, when, etc.... I'll be damned if the cops weren't waiting along our route for us. They pulled me and a group of 5 others over, for just being there. They hassled the hell out of us. We didn't get tickets, but we had to do the rest ot that ride super slow becuase we never knew where the next ambush might be. I was wondering how the heck they knew we were coming. Then it dawned on me. Our route and time tables were online for the world to see.

I can go on and on with examples. There are many reasons why our private forums add value to our members. We can freely post pictures and videos, routes and time tables. No one needs to worry about their boss finding out that their last sick day was spent at the track. They don't need to worry that their insurance company will discover that they are driving their 'pleasure vehicle' on a rack track. They don't need to worry that the police will know where and when they will be driving by.

Access to the forums is literally the tip of the PCA iceberg. It's a benefit, but a small one. You get a magazine, the Panorama. You get access to so many events, nationwide. You get discounts from Porsche dealers, sometimes up to 30%. You get special invitations from Porsche, invitations that only PCA members get. You'll never convince me to drop my membership. I've gotten so much out of the club, I'll be a member for life. What's it cost? $46 a year... I renew for three years at a time, so I paid $40. That's less than the cost of a tank of gas, and the knowledge that I've gained from the people I've met has saved me thousands.

There is a membership that you can get if you don't have a Porsche. It's called the Quest membership. You get access to the magazine, the national calssifieds ('The Mart'), and access to the forums too. Any region I've ever been to is more than happy to have guests attend their monthly meetings too.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Last edited by Gator Bite; 01-27-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #14

Garage
re Gator Bite

thanks for you response... i can understand the lockdown on the sub groups except for the classifieds.

because of my great distance to any regional group, the membership to the PCA boils down to the magazine, non of the other benefits have been apparent...

i will investigate it thee guys who just opened a dealership

and thanks again you were a gentleman in your response.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #15

There must be a lockdown on the Regions info page too, I can't access it to see about the Sequoia Chapter.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #16

I thought joining the PCA was a great idea when I first bought my Boxster - discounts, magazines, all kinds of good stuff, and I like most of the people I met at club meetings and functions.

Unfortunately I will not be renewing my membership when it next expires. As a matter of principle, I will not belong to an organization where not all members are treated equally but are charged the same fee to join. I am referring to the raffles. The prize is an American spec car that must be picked up from an American dealership, basically excluding Canadian members from participating. Yes, there is a cash equivalent prize, but it is worth nowhere near the value of the actual prize. I sent a letter about it to the PCA administration and the response I got was basically "Too bad, that's the way it is". Perhaps if there is ever a Porsche Club of Canada I will consider re-joining.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy
There must be a lockdown on the Regions info page too, I can't access it to see about the Sequoia Chapter.

Shouldn't be. Try this link: http://seq.pca.org/
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by litteng
thanks for you response... i can understand the lockdown on the sub groups except for the classifieds.
Actually, we have no classified section in the forums. We figured why recreate The Mart (that's the PCA classified section, found on the PCA website and in the back of the Panorma). Every PCA member has access and can place I think 2 free ads a month. There's lots of good stuff in there. Good parts, and good cars. In my experience the cars listed for sale there are more expensive than most outside sources, but you know you're getting an enthusiast owned car.

Last edited by Gator Bite; 01-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I thought joining the PCA was a great idea when I first bought my Boxster - discounts, magazines, all kinds of good stuff, and I like most of the people I met at club meetings and functions.

Unfortunately I will not be renewing my membership when it next expires. As a matter of principle, I will not belong to an organization where not all members are treated equally but are charged the same fee to join. I am referring to the raffles. The prize is an American spec car that must be picked up from an American dealership, basically excluding Canadian members from participating. Yes, there is a cash equivalent prize, but it is worth nowhere near the value of the actual prize. I sent a letter about it to the PCA administration and the response I got was basically "Too bad, that's the way it is". Perhaps if there is ever a Porsche Club of Canada I will consider re-joining.

Uh, dude... Seriously....? You want out because the raffle cash prize is worth less than the car costs in Canada? Did you win the raffle and then get burned? Or did you know this before buying a raffle ticket? Is there a reason you can't take delivery of the car in the USA, and take the car to Canada?

The PCA is paying for that car,. The price and number of tickets being sold is dependant on knowing the final cost. Usually there is a surplus on the raffle sales. But the PCA is non profit so the amount of that surplus must be known before hand, and there must be a plan in place on how those proceeds will be spent on member benefits.

How about looking at it like this. Instead of seeing it as a $50 raffle to win a Carrera GTS + $25K, look at it as a $50 raffle to win $150K.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #20

The value of the prize is irrelevant. The issue is that Canadian members are not treated equally to American members, and yet it is supposed to be one big organization. Like I said, it is a matter of principle. I will be a second-class member in no-one's club.