Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Windscreen Repair

The pin on the black part of the frame on my windscreen snapped off this weekend while attempting to install it after I put my aftermarket humps on the car. These use velcro straps that sit between the installed windscreen on the rollbar on either side of the center tab that holds it in place and they've stressed it to the point of breaking.

The pins fit in the grooves on the black plastic receptacle on each side of the roll bar.

Has anyone purchased the black frame for the windscreen by itself, or must I now purchase a used windscreen and discard this one?

I've got a good mind to grind some slots in the bottom of it and permanently mount it to the center of the rollbar with black silicone. This way I could slip in the velcro pieces without removing it and I'd be good to go. The only time I remove it is when I'm driving across country with the top up and I want that tiny bit of storage space behind the roll bars... and I probably won't drive across country again in it since I put in a race suspension.

BTW, I have already superglued it back on, but I know from experience that this won't last long and it will break and fly off when I'm on the freeway with the top down.

Note: Before you post a reply about replacement tabs sold by Porsche, this is NOT the piece to which I am referring. I have an extra pair of those in my toolbox. This is the tip of the black frame that goes around the Lexan plastic.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

If the piece that broke is part of the little lever thingy that you push to release the wind screen from the roll bar then it is replaceable. I replaced both a broken clip on the roll bar and the lever part on the windscreen itself. The part that attaches to the roll bar is pop riveted; the lever piece on the wind screen just pulls off and the new lever pushes back on.
rlbccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Like I said above in bold type, this is not the little lever that pops off and can be replaced. Nor is it any part of the pop-riveted pieces on the roll bar itself.

This is a little pin on the black plastic surround on the windscreen itself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #4

Randall, post a picture of the broken part. I'm not exactly sure what section/ piece broke off.