Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

headlight lens replacement?

I have a 2004 Boxter on which the little triangular plastic lens surrounding the headlight washer has mysteriously cracked. I can't figure out how this happened, because there is no damage to the bumper or bodywork around it, and the car has never seen a mall or grocery store parking lot. Anyhow, I found a source for the part, at only (!) $60, but I can't see how to remove the broken one. How do you remove the headlight lens parts?

timofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #2

If you're talking about the little triangular corner with the washer hole in it, it just "pops" out. When I popped one out it broke off one of the little tabs. But, since I was replacing it anyway, it didn't really matter. The new one popped right in.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

where can you get the lens for the headlight ? i think you could get rich just selling the contact to anybody who wants to buy it. You are not the only one with who this issue happened. I have a 2000 boxster with 2 melted lenses
Supercab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercab
where can you get the lens for the headlight ? i think you could get rich just selling the contact to anybody who wants to buy it. You are not the only one with who this issue happened. I have a 2000 boxster with 2 melted lenses

Melted Lenses!??? How did that happen? Oh, you live in Canada... It does get extremely hot up there.

I would like to replace my headlight lenses without buying the whole assembly... I have over 211,000 miles on mine and they are getting a little pitted. Is replacing just the lenses an option? The only thing I have seen is the whole assembly.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Melted Lenses!??? How did that happen? Oh, you live in Canada... It does get extremely hot up there.

Jager
Not sure what the member's nationality and climate has to do with melted headlights issues mate. I think he meant this:

(Source: pelicanparts.com)
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercab
One option for you:

Custom headlights conversion to Litronic style (w/pics)

Hope this helps
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #7

Garage
but I think the issue would be where would you buy the actual lens for the headlight if you have melted it. But, that is a great writeup for lens removal.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:

"Melted Lenses!??? How did that happen? Oh, you live in Canada... It does get extremely hot up there.

Jager"

Originally Posted by Jager

"Not sure what the member's nationality and climate has to do with melted headlights issues mate. I think he meant this:"

Originally Posted by madmods

I was joking about Canada's climate and I made no reference to the member's nationality. BTW I love Canada; I grew-up in northern Michigan, just a stone throw away from Canada, its beautiful country up there. In fact I think I will travel up there this summer after the snow melts-off in July (darn it, there I go again, joking about Canada's climate).

Jager

Last edited by Jager; 06-22-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote