Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Trying to get a "behavioral" idea on startups

So, I'm always paranoid about not shifting out of park before the Air Pump has finished its ritual. Once the car idles down and the pump cuts off, I go ahead and take off... this usually adds a few minutes to my "quick jaunts".

Anyone else paranoid about that or is it safe to "get in and go" (of course keeping the rpms down till warm)

It may be a fluke, but I notice every time I DON'T let it do its thing, I get a CEL when I step on it (even when warm).

Thoughts?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

I have the same ritual; it just seems that is not quite ready to be driven until the Air Pump stops. I know it is subconscious but I wait too
rlbccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Garage
+1 here too! I know I may not have to but I always wait until it spools down before taking off. I'm not sure on the cel light though??

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #4

What exactly does that air pump do anyways?
Roy_Josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #5

I don't want to stink up the garage so I put it in drive within a few seconds after starting it.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

I start off quickly but gently

I get in start the engine, and then buckle the seat belt. Maybe I wait 10 seconds but I then drive off with RPMs below 2000 until the temp starts moving and 3500 until the temp shows every bit of 180, then every trip to 6k.

Since I delay not at all on any other car...
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Garage
Air pump? You talking about the engine compartment fan? The car is a mid-engine and the engine compartment is very closed off. The fan you hear is simply there to ventilate out any volatile flumes that might accumulate and cause a fire. Waiting for that fan to stop before driving off has nothing to do with being drivable.

Now waiting for the temp gauge to register knowing the engine is warmed up is another.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

Nope, the air pump. It's runs on cold starts for a minute or two until the cats are warm.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #9

You should be able to drive with the secondary air pump running without a CEL. Have you dumped your codes?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #10

yea, they're due to "Secondary Air Injection" faults (I have a lingering exhaust leak). not sure why not waiting on the air pump to turn off would increase the likelihood of the CEL, but I notice the correlation between the two.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #11

What the he|| are you talking about? Real Porsche cars don't have any "Park" or "Drive" things to shift into or out of...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #12

they do on a DD in daily stop-and-go traffic while sitting in the parkinglotway, errr "high"way every day.... other occasions call for the "M"
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
yea, they're due to "Secondary Air Injection" faults (I have a lingering exhaust leak). not sure why not waiting on the air pump to turn off would increase the likelihood of the CEL, but I notice the correlation between the two.
There you go. Something in the secondary air system needs to be fixed. Fix that and no more CEL, and therefore no need to "wait" at startup.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #14

well the fact that there's a difference in exhaust 'levels'/'mixture richness' based on "waiting" or "not waiting" implies that it might be beneficial to wait, regardless of exhaust leak or not.

the fact that it throws a CEL tells me that there's different exhaust behavior if I don't wait for the air pump to do its thing. so i'm wondering if that "non-wait" behavior is harmful to the overall health of the engine/vehicle.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

My understanding is that the air pump and secondary air injection are emissions related, not performance related.

What seems to be happening is that there is a problem in the emissions control system and you get a CEL if you try to drive off while the air pump is still operating to avoid the CEL. You've found that if you wait until the air pump stops, then the likelihood of a CEL is much less.

The bottom line is that the emissions system needs investigation/repair. Then there will be no reason why you can't drive with the air pump operating.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
My understanding is that the air pump and secondary air injection are emissions related, not performance related.

What seems to be happening is that there is a problem in the emissions control system and you get a CEL if you try to drive off while the air pump is still operating to avoid the CEL. You've found that if you wait until the air pump stops, then the likelihood of a CEL is much less.

The bottom line is that the emissions system needs investigation/repair. Then there will be no reason why you can't drive with the air pump operating.
+ 1 sounds like your secondary air system, here is a link to repair it. good luck.
www.nutrod.com/nutrod/home.html
just click on (secondary air system)

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote