Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Failed MOT :-(

afternoon people,

i just got back from the MOT test centre, where the car failed on all 3 brake lights....

As i depress the brake pedal a three lights flicker on, then when i push to the floor the lights go off.

Any ideas? the mechanic suggested the switch? does anybody know where the brake pedal switch will be?

Lee

Flat_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #2

Garage
It is in a position by the brake pedal so that when you step on the pedal it physically presses the switch. It may just be loose since it seems to work sometimes. Just follow the brake pedal up to the top & see what contacts the pedal under the dash.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #3

i have just ran my hand up the brake pedal and i can feel the switch, after pushing the switch back a couple of times i then tried again, and it worked as normal, but then a few moments later the brake lights were flickering on again.

It seems as though i need a new brake pedal switch, how easy are these to remove? there seems to be the foot heating system in the way of the switch. Are the switches expensive?

Lee
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #4

The switch is inexpensive to replace; mine had similar symptoms this Fall. It is held in place by two small plastic tabs that twist around a metal bracket. This sounds easy but the tight work space and made it difficult to get enough torque by hand. I found it easier to *gently* hold the switch body with channel locks.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
The switch is inexpensive to replace; mine had similar symptoms this Fall. It is held in place by two small plastic tabs that twist around a metal bracket. This sounds easy but the tight work space and made it difficult to get enough torque by hand. I found it easier to *gently* hold the switch body with channel locks.
Cheers for the replies,

Ill try and source a replacement brake switch online and then set about trying to get it out without grazed knuckles

Lee