Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Replaced the old Boxster with a Boxster S

After a month of touring the southwest (probably drove 1500-2000 miles in search of it), I finally found a Boxster I am happy with. It's a 2001 Boxster S that was in Tempe Arizona, 48k miles and overall in good condition. It just needed new CV boots and wheel bearings (something I hear is common with 6 speed Boxsters anyway). I was happy to find that the car has a good amount of options since my last Boxster was completely stock, this one has memory and heated seats, a 6 speed CD changer with DSP (someone have an online manual for this?), chrome wheels and litronics.

I got quoted 800 dollars to change the wheel bearings from a local indy shop, is this an easy job and if so, how much are parts?

Attached Images

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new purchase. Do you find the S has much more power than the standard?
Here is a link to Rear wheel bearing repair.
http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?topic=562.0

CV boots are easy to do. Do a search on here, there are quite afew threads detailing the procedure.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
JTP

Very nice car. That looks my car's twin. Is it lapis blue or ocean metallic blue? I also have DSP along with the manual. If you need to reference it or I can scan it for you if you can't find it online.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #4

Time to update the pic in the signature!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

Good call. Once you have litronics you won't know how you could live without them.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Very nice car. That looks my car's twin. Is it lapis blue or ocean metallic blue? I also have DSP along with the manual. If you need to reference it or I can scan it for you if you can't find it online.
My old Boxster I believe was Lapis Blue, turned purple under the sun. This one is Ocean Metallic blue I'm guessing since it stays dark blue all the time. Honestly I prefer this true navy blue to the lapis blue.

The old Box was already down on power due to engine coil and air/fuel mixture issues. That being said, the S feels properly quick now, I never find myself wanting power, which used to be an issue in the old Boxster especially when overtaking.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Welcome to the S family.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
My old Boxster I believe was Lapis Blue, turned purple under the sun. This one is Ocean Metallic blue I'm guessing since it stays dark blue all the time. Honestly I prefer this true navy blue to the lapis blue.

The old Box was already down on power due to engine coil and air/fuel mixture issues. That being said, the S feels properly quick now, I never find myself wanting power, which used to be an issue in the old Boxster especially when overtaking.
Mine is Metallic Ocean Blue also, paint code E1 and love it. The blue/tan combo is one of the best in my opinion.
The S is more than quick enough to get me into trouble and drive it every chance I get. Congrats on your new ride!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

That looks like the car Nick in Tempe had for sale. My wife and I took it out for an extensive test drive in December 31st. We loved the car, but that unusual rour it has in the back end scared us off. We bought another S that day in Scottsdale.

What did you ultimately pay for the car ?
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
That looks like the car Nick in Tempe had for sale. My wife and I took it out for an extensive test drive in December 31st. We loved the car, but that unusual rour it has in the back end scared us off. We bought another S that day in Scottsdale.

What did you ultimately pay for the car ?
Bingo, exactly who we bought it from. We payed 13,250 after we found out that the noise was the rear right bearing going bad and bargained hard. Out of curiosity what color was your Boxster and where did you buy it?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

Hi Lordblood,
The 2000 S car we bought in Scottsdale is Gaurds Red with tan interior. We bought it from a dealer called Copper State Mororsports for $13,930.
Bill.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
Hi Lordblood,
The 2000 S car we bought in Scottsdale is Gaurds Red with tan interior. We bought it from a dealer called Copper State Mororsports for $13,930.
Bill.
It seems we are interconnected somehow, I owned that car for roughly 21 hours. There are about 4000 dollars worth of repairs/maintenance needed on that car, including the cracked/baked window. We paid 13,250 plus taxes for it, so I guess they made a 700 dollar profit on you. Let me know if you want the PPI for it, I got it from Chapman Porsche in Tucson and I can scan it for you if you wanted to see it.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #13

Hi Lordblood.

The dealer put a new back window in it. His trim shop did a good job. Looks factory. Yes I would like to see the PPI. I'll send you a PM.

I have found a pretty good oil leak since getting it home. More messy than runny. It looks like the new AOS could be leaking and possible Power Steering pump leak and maybe the RMS. Runs real good though. I'm doing the brakes just because I want to start fresh. What else should I know about it right away ?

Bill.