Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #1

Hi there...New 986 owner..

Hi there..

Many years ago before kids, I owned a '71 914 and '87 924s. Before that, several Audi's including a Coupe Quattro, 90 20v Quattro, a few older 5000's including a diesel, and a few five hundred dollar cars. Between my wife and I, we usually had 3 cars at any given time, with one being the beater or garage queen.

After kids were born things got a bit more sedate.. I tried to spice it up with a custom built Passat B5.5 20v Variant 1.8T 5-speed wagon. Also have/had Mazda5, Odyssey EX, Mercury Villager, VW Fox, and a B5 Passat sedan along the way.

I was getting tired of the Passat Variant, as I wasn't driving it and it sat in the garage.

I got the 986 bug and started scouring the web for info.

I ended up paying top dollar ($15k) for a 1998 Boxster Base from the local P dealer. They listed it on the web for $20k.

Why?

1) This car was in mint showroom condition (I'm a sucker for a pretty face), 24k mi on the clock, I saw all service records in the computer as it was serviced there regularly, and their PPI report. Headlights perfectly clear, leather like-new, paint near flawless.
2) Car had IMS failure in 2006. Dealer replaced engine under warranty @ 20k.
3) New clutch and other components installed in 2004. Service records weren't clear why it was needed.
4) Fabric roof never opened by original owner. Window looks new, I need to stretch the roof out a bit. Dealer says the roof is in spec, but the fabric is tight as it spent many years tucked away. Tech told me to wet it and put it in the sun to dry.
5) Has hardtop
6) All service up to date by dealer.
7) New tires and battery.

Course of action..

I bought the car..

Updated the radio to a Alpine X305SBT with iPhone interface.

Maintenance is up to date by the book and looked like it was taken care of by milage more so than time.. 1998/24k miles = 1846 miles per year

Oil and brake fluid done by dealer before sale and was regularly done.

Plugs came with the new engine 4k ago.

Dealer inspected serpentine before sale and said it was good.

Ordered from Suncoast new air and pollen filters. Learned about top engine access and changed the filters. Date codes were from '97.

I put Shin Etsu grease on all the rubber I could find (door, window, hardtop, and convertible seals) Shin Etsu is designed specifically to lubricate soft pliable rubber door seals. All the rubber was soft to begin with, but hey, its 13 years old.

After owning the car a few weeks, I noticed the front luggage compartment light didn't work. Using this and other forums, I determined it was the front latch microswitch. Ordered a new one from ******************************************** and fixed it.

I also updated the lighter socket and put in a new Porsche 5-speed ball shifter w/boot.

Everything else works perfectly.

From a maintenance standpoint, it looks like the only thing I want to do is the fuel filter.

I also learned everything to know about child seats in the 986 with air-bag deactivation and where to buy just the buckle for the deactivation bar using non-Porsche baby seats.

and I bought the 101 Projects for your Porsche book and a Charge-o-Mat.

So.. that's my 986 story..

Anything I should know? I've only put 160 miles on it since I took it home.

Thanks

b55er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Carnut

Very nice, you'll love your new ride! Drive more!

Haven't you been on Passatworld / Vortex etc?

Later,
Andy
Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
b55er,

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like a very nice car. All you need to do now is post some pictures. We all would love to see it.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #4

Santa Cruz huh, well stay away from Capitola Beach with the Boxster. The wife will be mad if she finds out you went there with out her watching out for your rubber necking the (ahem) scenery.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #5

Here's a pict..

This was taken the last day I had the Passat.

AndyA6.. yes, I was on PassatWord and ClubB5 since '03.

Q: With the engine replaced in 06, what service items should I be concerned with based on time?

Q: Did they make production changes in the 2.5 motor? This is a '98 with a '06 engine. Do I still need to worry about IMS and RMS?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by b55er; 03-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.
b55er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Carnut

I knew it!! Clubb5, the good old days!!! Remember my "Andybar" for the front subframe? Still using it on my DD Audi A4.....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #7

Welcome. Nice to see a neighbor. I am down on the Monterey peninsula. Great roads in our area for the boxster. Not to mention these cars are great fun even in stock form at laguna seca!
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrat's and welcome, very nice buy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Wow! A new car LOL...yes drive it and then go back out and drive it again...then if you are sitting watching TV and you have the feeling again...well go out and spin it around again...that poor car was lonely sitting in the garage all these years.

I almost got a 97 with 11k miles for $15k...I knew I would never drive it...decide on a higher mileage one.

Enjoy!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote