986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche is laughing at people that say this... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27417-porsche-laughing-people-say.html)

WhipE350 01-06-2011 06:02 PM

Porsche is laughing at people that say this...

"A Boxster is for those that can't afford a 911"...I just built a Boxster 'S' I want to match my E350 with options, at $73,300 I think Porsche is happy to take my money. Think I'll head down to the garage to fix up my 2000 'S' a little more :)

kx9862002 01-06-2011 06:10 PM

If "A Boxster is for those that can't afford a 911" is ture,

THEN:

a Audi A3 or A4 is for those that can't afford a A6 or A8,
a Mercedes C or E is for those that can't afford a S or AMG,
a BMW 3 or 5 is for those that can't afford a 7 or M,
etc...etc...

are all ture.

Frank M 01-06-2011 06:22 PM

What about those that CHOOSE to own a Boxster, A3, E series, 3 series or a Chev etc. because they like them knowing they can buy any car they want. :confused:

Lordblood 01-06-2011 08:15 PM

Sure, and a Ferrari 458 Italia is for people who can't afford a 599. Of course that means an Aston Martin DBS is for people who can't afford a one-77.
I mean basically, the Boxster gets ridiculed because it's the cheapest car Porsche used to make when it came out. I honestly would pick it over a 911 just based on looks, of course on top of that you get the amazing handling.

Jinster 01-06-2011 08:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with buying something cheaper because you can't afford the more expensive stuff. That's life. We don't all live in multi-million dollar mansions with 10 bedrooms. What's the big deal?

Everybody loves a bargain and something cheap that does the job. What's wrong with that?

The only people that say this sort of thing and means it in a negative way are those who are jealous, and trying to appear smarter than the average loser. Take no notice of these philosophically challenged people.

kx9862002 01-06-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordblood
Sure, and a Ferrari 458 Italia is for people who can't afford a 599. Of course that means an Aston Martin DBS is for people who can't afford a one-77.
I mean basically, the Boxster gets ridiculed because it's the cheapest car Porsche used to make when it came out. I honestly would pick it over a 911 just based on looks, of course on top of that you get the amazing handling.

:cheers:
yeah
and many boxster owners don't track at all, why do they need a 911 instead a boxster which is a more DD vehicle

kx9862002 01-06-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinster
Most people who say this can't afford a Boxster.

Those that can afford 911s don't generally say this.

It's the case of the have-nots having a go at the haves (or have-somes). Take no notice of it.

very true.
:)

clickman 01-06-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx9862002
many boxster owners don't track at all, why do they need a 911 instead a boxster which is a more DD vehicle

Isn't the Boxster a better performer on the track because of it's better balance?

eightsandaces 01-07-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
Isn't the Boxster a better performer on the track because of it's better balance?

Count on it, most people are not race experienced, given that fact a car that is more forgiving and has better overall chassis balance IMO has the edge because more cornering confidence can come to those who are not experts. The same stupid smear campaign was launched against the 944 and frankly I wish I had kept that car.

JTP 01-07-2011 04:51 AM

I hear that nonsense about the Boxster all the time and I laugh at THEM! The ones that say that are driving econoboxes or a Prius with no knowledge of cars.
I don't give a crap what people say, I'm the one driving the car. My friends and family never understood my taste in cars: 914s, 928, Cosworth Vega, Karmann Ghia, Early Bronco, Saab, to name a few.

jditom 01-07-2011 05:50 AM

I can buy a 911 but I wanted a Boxster S.
By choice not amount of money :cheers:

lifeisgood 01-07-2011 06:11 AM

Me, I just can't afford a 911 and so settle for a Boxster S. True.
After owning it I love that car every minutes of it.

Yes, Money is the issue.

Perfectlap 01-07-2011 06:40 AM

Roadsters are roadsters.
GTs are GTs.
Sports coupes are sportscoupes
sports sedans are sports sedans (although there are only 2 of them --STI and EVO)
exotics are exotics

some people will never grasp this and judge all according to power or price alone.
That tells you they don't know the first thing about high performance driving.

Flavor 987S 01-07-2011 07:00 AM

My Boxster cost more than my 911 Turbo. Not by much.

But, I ordered the Boxster new in 2006 and I purchased the 1997 911 Turbo (993) last year, used. The Turbo has retained more than 1/2 of its value the past +14 years (and may actually appreciate, if I could keep the miles down :) ) while the Boxster has lost more than 1/2 its value in 4 years.

chris97boxster 01-07-2011 08:37 AM

Going back to the the very 1st statement that started this thread
My former boss said the exact same thing to me
"Couldn't afford a 911....blah blah blah "

We could flog this thread all day. I'll admit I bought the boxster because of
1st -> platform....closest thing to a Carrera GT....mid_engine chassis/handling
2nd-> looks....spyder 550...james dean...convertible...love it...looks better than a 911 cab
3rd-> money....sure price is somewhat a factor...couldn't afford a Carrera GT
but the money I didn't spend on buying a 911 turbo...I have a a Gsxr1000
which blows my hair back doing mach XX whenever I take it out...
compare apples to apples....oranges to oranges....
the boxsters has the porsche look and feel IMHO
its not a 911...stating the obvious
911 is a different beast....would I buy one? Maybe / maybe not....money would decide
But then again I've read too many times that boxster owners r happy with there choice
after having driven both 911 & boxster...maybe they r wrong....I think they're right

As for my former Boss....after he was done his rant...I simply asked him
"Ever driven a 911 or boxster?"....his answer was no....hmmmm
Those who have driven a Porsche..... KNOW
Those who haven't....well ....they need to be more informed before speaking out
Take them out for a test drive....drive both boxster & 911
Then. ...maybe what they have to say might b of value
until then....I'll let the jealousy eat them up as I drive around in my boxster
Top down with a big smug look / poop eating grin :o)
cheers
Chris

ekam 01-07-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
sports sedans are sports sedans (although there are only 2 of them --STI and EVO)

Don't mean to nit-pick... BMW 3-series, Lexus IS??

Perfectlap 01-07-2011 09:46 AM

I haven't driven the new Bimmer 3s but I wouldn't classify any of the previous versions to be sports cars. Ditto for the Luxus. Once a car is weighed down with too many cup holders, weight is clearly no longer a consideration and your sports car membership expires. The new 4 door mini cooper may be promising if they put some actual power to weight consideration into it.

r9i8c7k 01-07-2011 12:57 PM

When I was 21 years old I attended a party with my future wife. We were playing a game with a group of people and we were all asked to list three things we wanted to experience at least once in life. My three were; to make allot of $$$$, swim in the blue waters of Hawaii and to own a red Porsche 911.

I worked hard and sacrificed for 20 or so years and it was finally time to buy that red Porsche 911 cash. When I went for the test drive there was a little delay in getting the 911 from the back lot. So I asked the salesman if we could take the 987 for a spin while we waited. The rest is history, I bought my dream car, a red Porsche Boxster.

Pilot2519j 01-07-2011 01:26 PM

We are the haves and they are not

Ah the Boxster is a chick car, a 911 wannabe, and so it goes & so it goes. I am 62 yrs old and I god-dam enjoy driving my Boxster S. I could give a rat's ass what other think and their warped envious malfunctioning set of values. All I look forward for spring when the top goes down and old Sol washes it rays upon me. What others think of that olde silver fox," in a mid life crisis" enjoying his Porsche or non Porsche or chick Porsche, is the farthest thing from my mind. Their feeble minds could not capture the essence of a moment driving a Porsche. All that I would need to make the visualization to suit my persona would be a white silk scarf reminding me of my flying days.
To finalize my father always told me as a child in Cuba regarding these envious nefarious people, "Son if they were all smart they would be rocket scientists. Don't be so concerned with those in the non rocket scientist circle and enjoy your ride you worked hard for it. These remarks are always generated by non Porsche owners or 911 sissy boys whose car are garage queens. Salesmen have a big part in these
statement for the obvious monetary reasons.

AndyA6 01-07-2011 05:55 PM

Well, for me "eleven is heaven" until the 996 came up....

I think I metioned this before but I had in my life a 356, 911 sc (2of them), 964 C2 and 964 C4. My Dad had the first 911 ever, my brother a 914 and a 911 SC, my brother in law a 356 and the list goes on.

See a pattern?

Took a break from Porsches for a while but always wanted another one, preferably a 911 (aircooled!).

Then came the Boxster and it won me over.... only Porsche today with "soul", screw the rest of the debate, people in the know....know.

Later,
Andy