Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Best front bumper

I know a lot of people on here have customized their front bumper or gotten entire body kits. Which do you all like the best?

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #2

I would love to see some pictures. I am in the market for a gt3 style bumper for my 986 but the lights are different than the 987 so it is tough to find the one I want. There are a lot posted on the pics thread "post your best boxster pics" or something like that. Check it out

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 01-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
JTP

Best bumper conversion I've seen to date is the 996 Turbo front end on a Boxster.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Best bumper conversion I've seen to date is the 996 Turbo front end on a Boxster.
DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
Yes! Makes the car more aggressive and cleaner looking while keeping all the parts Porsche. Probably improves air flow to the radiators too.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

I have a 2001 non-s boxster and am looking for a gt3 style or gt2 style front bumper with DRL's and the airflow opening by the bonet latch that allows for extra airflow over the hood. I have found some but they either only have the DRL's or only have the airflow opening but not both. It looks like some gt3/gt2 style bumpers for 2001 996 would fit on my boxster because they share the same headlights but they are not advertised for the 986. Does anyone have any ideas or comments? I tried looking at NR auto, precision porsche and any website I could find in the excellence magazine but to no avail. Help!!!
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Does the 996 Turbo front bumber require any addtional parts to bolt onto the Boxster?
CasualCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

I agree that the 996 Turbo Bumper looks great. I'm just not happy when I read the instructions instructions that say: "Modification of bumper reinforcement may be required (i.e. this plastic piece may need to be trimmed slightly). Unpainted."

For the mechanically challenged like me -- too much margin for error there!

My winter project is to upgrade the dated/pitted bumper on my '01. Most of the non-OEM are a little too aggressive for me personally and many just don't seem to flow well without adding other mods, which I'm not interested in doing.

I've just decided to go with an '03 bumper -- very nice upgrade over the earlier cars and in keeping with the general design. User SEVENTYTHREE did a great job outlining the parts and process required to do this. Search his name and you'll find it.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Garage
Take it from someone who's vehicle underwent an extensive body kit project; regardless of price or prestige, all of these aftermarket aero parts require a tremendous amount tweaking and crafting in order for them to fit properly and have a "factory" look . None of this stuff comes out of the box "ready to go ". And don't let anyone tell you otherwise !
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

Ah, but it looks great when done right, as you have! Looks fantastic.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Yes! Makes the car more aggressive and cleaner looking while keeping all the parts Porsche. Probably improves air flow to the radiators too.
Funny how we see cars, this doesn't work for me, it's like a brain teaser, I stare at the bumper and my eyes move up and I expect to see some 911 but then a boxster appears! Maybe it is the lighting. Maybe is needs more. Do love yellow and those rims, if only I had them!!

Now Johnny's car, that is amazing one can go that far aftermarket and come out with such an awesome look!.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #12

I'm curious how many people who change their front bumpers go thru the trouble of installing the correct radiators/radiator ducts to match. For example, the people who switch to the Turbo bumpers... are you changing to the Turbo radiators and matching ducts, or are you just removing the ducts all together and calling it "good"? Are there aftermarket ducts that will convert the Turbo opening to work with the Boxster radiators?

kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote