Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Spark Plug tubes/o-rings - If one plug is leaking, buy new for all?

Hi all,

In the middle of my 60k maintenance. Noticed some oil accumulation coming out of one spark plug area - the one on the passenger side most towards the front of the vehicle. Definitely coming out of the plug region and not anywhere else. Enough to stain the metal and have one drop hanging off the metal, but not enough for me to have ever seen any consumption.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask before I order....does anyone recommend replacing all the tubes/o-rings if one is leaking, or just one?

I am on a budget, but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks!

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Recently I replaced

the o-rings on all the tubes. I had one tube with a crack, so it got replaced too. The tubes on mine seemed okay otherwise. I would suggest just the o-rings.

Good luck with getting the tubes out, I didn't have much fun with that at all. I used the expanding boat plug adn got it done, but that motor fought me on every tube.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

Joe - had the same experience as you last September - one leaking O ring seal. I decided to replace all 12 seals but not tubes.
When the other (good) tubes were pulled, the O ring seals on most of them were squared off and harder than the new ones, so it would have just been a matter of time before they started leaking......
Replace all seals and forget them untill the 120,000 mile service
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

I am on a budget, but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks!

Joe
You awnsered your own question with this statement. Your car is now eleven years old, what is going to keep the other tubes from cracking or the o-rings from doing the same? Replace both all tubes and o-rings and let it go another 10 years. And since you are doing the work yourself its on a budget.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve

Good luck with getting the tubes out, I didn't have much fun with that at all. I used the expanding boat plug adn got it done, but that motor fought me on every tube.
I bought a bunch of unused maintenance parts at a discount from a guy who sold his Boxster. The batch included the o-rings. I'm just past 60,000 miles and I'm planning to change the o-rings when I change my plugs. I'm seeing a few spots of oil, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I was planning to use the transom (boat) plug to pull out the tubes. Based on your post, it sounds like it may not be as easy as some of the web sites make it sound.

Would you care to share any insights into how you ultimately succeeded? Do you think there is a better tool for the job?

Thanks
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I bought a bunch of unused maintenance parts at a discount from a guy who sold his Boxster. The batch included the o-rings. I'm just past 60,000 miles and I'm planning to change the o-rings when I change my plugs. I'm seeing a few spots of oil, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I was planning to use the transom (boat) plug to pull out the tubes. Based on your post, it sounds like it may not be as easy as some of the web sites make it sound.

Would you care to share any insights into how you ultimately succeeded? Do you think there is a better tool for the job?

Thanks

I'm going to try snap ring pliers with silicone tubing over the ends.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 AM   #7

I haven't needed to do this task (yet!) but, quoting another forum member (Mark T): "I used
the 1" expandable rubber arbor from my drum sander set and that worked really well."

I don't have a drum sander, but I suppose the arbors probably don't cost much. Try it...let us know
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #8

Some of the boat transom plugs are not well made and do not grip tightly; not surprising for something that sells for $1. Look for one that has ribs running around its circumference; they seem to work the best. And, you can always add a wrap or two of double sided tape to augment its grip. Just don’t get over ambitious here, they are rigid plastic tubes and will crack if you take the “get a bigger hammer” approach to taking them out………

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-07-2011 at 05:26 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #9

Transom Plug

Just like JFP said, I used a cheap transom the first time and had no success. Then I went to a boat shop and bought a much higher quality transom (spent $5). Some came out easier than others. I had to go through the process several times on a few tubes because when I pulled, the plug would pull out and the stubborn tubes wouldn't come with it. I am guessing I was due for this service and I found this a little frustrating. Especially after reading the other experiences that this was no big deal...

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote