986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Spark Plug tubes/o-rings - If one plug is leaking, buy new for all? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27413-spark-plug-tubes-o-rings-if-one-plug-leaking-buy-new-all.html)

JoeFromPA 01-06-2011 10:51 AM

Spark Plug tubes/o-rings - If one plug is leaking, buy new for all?

Hi all,

In the middle of my 60k maintenance. Noticed some oil accumulation coming out of one spark plug area - the one on the passenger side most towards the front of the vehicle. Definitely coming out of the plug region and not anywhere else. Enough to stain the metal and have one drop hanging off the metal, but not enough for me to have ever seen any consumption.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask before I order....does anyone recommend replacing all the tubes/o-rings if one is leaking, or just one?

I am on a budget, but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks!

Joe

2TrunkSteve 01-06-2011 11:26 AM

Recently I replaced

the o-rings on all the tubes. I had one tube with a crack, so it got replaced too. The tubes on mine seemed okay otherwise. I would suggest just the o-rings.

Good luck with getting the tubes out, I didn't have much fun with that at all. I used the expanding boat plug adn got it done, but that motor fought me on every tube.

Steve Tinker 01-06-2011 12:42 PM

Joe - had the same experience as you last September - one leaking O ring seal. I decided to replace all 12 seals but not tubes.
When the other (good) tubes were pulled, the O ring seals on most of them were squared off and harder than the new ones, so it would have just been a matter of time before they started leaking......
Replace all seals and forget them untill the 120,000 mile service :)

yelojkt 01-06-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

I am on a budget, but want to do it once and do it right.

Thanks!

Joe

You awnsered your own question with this statement. Your car is now eleven years old, what is going to keep the other tubes from cracking or the o-rings from doing the same? Replace both all tubes and o-rings and let it go another 10 years. And since you are doing the work yourself its on a budget. :)

KevinH1990 01-06-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TrunkSteve

Good luck with getting the tubes out, I didn't have much fun with that at all. I used the expanding boat plug adn got it done, but that motor fought me on every tube.

I bought a bunch of unused maintenance parts at a discount from a guy who sold his Boxster. The batch included the o-rings. I'm just past 60,000 miles and I'm planning to change the o-rings when I change my plugs. I'm seeing a few spots of oil, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I was planning to use the transom (boat) plug to pull out the tubes. Based on your post, it sounds like it may not be as easy as some of the web sites make it sound.

Would you care to share any insights into how you ultimately succeeded? Do you think there is a better tool for the job?

Thanks

eightsandaces 01-07-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I bought a bunch of unused maintenance parts at a discount from a guy who sold his Boxster. The batch included the o-rings. I'm just past 60,000 miles and I'm planning to change the o-rings when I change my plugs. I'm seeing a few spots of oil, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I was planning to use the transom (boat) plug to pull out the tubes. Based on your post, it sounds like it may not be as easy as some of the web sites make it sound.

Would you care to share any insights into how you ultimately succeeded? Do you think there is a better tool for the job?

Thanks

I'm going to try snap ring pliers with silicone tubing over the ends.

Frodo 01-07-2011 04:29 AM

I haven't needed to do this task (yet!) but, quoting another forum member (Mark T): "I used
the 1" expandable rubber arbor from my drum sander set and that worked really well."

I don't have a drum sander, but I suppose the arbors probably don't cost much. Try it...let us know :D

JFP in PA 01-07-2011 05:22 AM

Some of the boat transom plugs are not well made and do not grip tightly; not surprising for something that sells for $1. Look for one that has ribs running around its circumference; they seem to work the best. And, you can always add a wrap or two of double sided tape to augment its grip. Just don’t get over ambitious here, they are rigid plastic tubes and will crack if you take the “get a bigger hammer” approach to taking them out………

2TrunkSteve 01-08-2011 08:23 AM

Transom Plug

Just like JFP said, I used a cheap transom the first time and had no success. Then I went to a boat shop and bought a much higher quality transom (spent $5). Some came out easier than others. I had to go through the process several times on a few tubes because when I pulled, the plug would pull out and the stubborn tubes wouldn't come with it. I am guessing I was due for this service and I found this a little frustrating. Especially after reading the other experiences that this was no big deal...