Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Be civil but firm with them.
This will go a long way. Good advice.

Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #22

Update

Hey everyone, just wanted to bring an update to everything so far.

Good news: Basically, they admitted that the transmission was their fault and they replaced it with a used unit with about 20k on it. I am happy about this because the old one had 66k on it. I paid them $2,300 for a list of other repairs such as O2 sensor, RMS, installation of the tranny, liquids, seals, etc. I was still OK with this because the car needed this stuff anyway and it was much cheaper than the originally quoted $6,000!

Bad news: I bring the vehicle home and drive about 200 miles on it on the same tank of fuel just to have it die on me and not start back up. I was pulling it into a parking spot and the engine shuts off and all the lights come on the dashboard. I try to restart to no avail. It cranks light it is trying to start but the engine doens't turn over. I let it sit for a while and tried it again, nothing. I try it again the next day and nothing. Then today, I go try it one last time and it fires up! I leave it running for 5 minutes, rev it a little and it does just fine so without shutting it off I put it into drive and go about 15 feet then it dies on me again. I check the fuses for the fuel pump and fuel injectors: both are good. I pull the fuel pump relay out and put it back in (this is above the fuse box) and no difference.

Any ideas? I sincerely appreciate any help...

Thanks,
Aaron
aaroncaserta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncaserta
Hey everyone, just wanted to bring an update to everything so far.

Good news: Basically, they admitted that the transmission was their fault and they replaced it with a used unit with about 20k on it. I am happy about this because the old one had 66k on it. I paid them $2,300 for a list of other repairs such as O2 sensor, RMS, installation of the tranny, liquids, seals, etc. I was still OK with this because the car needed this stuff anyway and it was much cheaper than the originally quoted $6,000!

Bad news: I bring the vehicle home and drive about 200 miles on it on the same tank of fuel just to have it die on me and not start back up. I was pulling it into a parking spot and the engine shuts off and all the lights come on the dashboard. I try to restart to no avail. It cranks light it is trying to start but the engine doens't turn over. I let it sit for a while and tried it again, nothing. I try it again the next day and nothing. Then today, I go try it one last time and it fires up! I leave it running for 5 minutes, rev it a little and it does just fine so without shutting it off I put it into drive and go about 15 feet then it dies on me again. I check the fuses for the fuel pump and fuel injectors: both are good. I pull the fuel pump relay out and put it back in (this is above the fuse box) and no difference.

Any ideas? I sincerely appreciate any help...

Thanks,
Aaron

I would stop trying to start it & call the dealership/shop that "fixed it" & tell them what happened (except the part about you trying to restart it) & recommend they send a flatbed tow truck to pickup your car & really fix it this time, then find yourself a attorney that specializes in automotive repair to help them decide the best way to kiss your arse & your Box's arse!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #24

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
I would stop trying to start it & call the dealership/shop that "fixed it" & tell them what happened (except the part about you trying to restart it) & recommend they send a flatbed tow truck to pickup your car & really fix it this time, then find yourself a attorney that specializes in automotive repair to help them decide the best way to kiss your arse & your Box's arse!

Well, I did call them and tell them what is going on. They are bringing me a replacement fuel pump relay switch to try on Monday. I'm not trying to start it any more.. I was just hoping I could get it running to drive it back to the dealership. I am just trying to figure out if it is something they didn't fix right or not. I am no expert but I think it may be a fuel pump issue. They didn't do anything with that... only the transmission and a couple other things. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #25

update

I took it to a local shop because I didn't want to have to pay another $200 to tow it an hour away to the dealership. The shop called me today and said that after much testing they have determined that it is going to be one of two things. 1) Crank sensor - $276.29 or 2) the PCM. They are confident that the crank sensor should fix the problem but I wanted to seek advice from you all. They tested the fuel pump and it is good.

Is this a daunting task to install a crank sensor? They quoted labor at $357.50. Thanks for any information.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncaserta
Basically, they admitted that the transmission was their fault and they replaced it with a used unit with about 20k on it. I am happy about this because the old one had 66k on it.
I really don't understand what the deal was with the transmission. They replaced the RMS which indicates your leak was an engine oil leak, not transmission. Do you have to drain the tranny fluid in order to remove the tranny from the car to replace the RMS? How else would they discover metal shavings in the transmission fluid? And assuming there really were metal shavings in the transmission fluid, why would that be "their fault"? If it really was a bad transmission, it wasn't their fault. If it wasn't a bad transmission, why replace it at all? This whole thing is crazy.

Best of luck resolving all this. Your car is beautiful.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #27

Sorry you're going thru all this crap Aaron.

jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #28

response

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
I really don't understand what the deal was with the transmission. They replaced the RMS which indicates your leak was an engine oil leak, not transmission. Do you have to drain the tranny fluid in order to remove the tranny from the car to replace the RMS? How else would they discover metal shavings in the transmission fluid? And assuming there really were metal shavings in the transmission fluid, why would that be "their fault"? If it really was a bad transmission, it wasn't their fault. If it wasn't a bad transmission, why replace it at all? This whole thing is crazy.

Best of luck resolving all this. Your car is beautiful.
I know it's a lot to read, but the entire story is in the threads. They said it was the RMS when it never was the MAIN leak, if it was even leaking at all. The main leak was tranny fluid, which they "ignored". I picked up the vehicle, drove it a few miles, pulled it over to check for a leak (wasn't leaking and I thought it was fixed) then I drove it an hour back home. Well, I get home and it's leaked out nearly all of its tranny fluid because it doesn't leak until it warms up. Transmission was ruined and they replaced at their cost because of their negligence in repair and allowing me to drive it home. This is everything in a nutshell but there are plenty more details.

It's been a nightmare to say the least.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #29

:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba
Sorry you're going thru all this crap Aaron.

Me too :ah: