Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Changed wheel bearing - Noise and vibration are still present

Hi,

For the longest time I had "tire noise" it felt like I was driving on gravel, after reading the forums I diagnosed it as LR wheel bearing.
In the last 2 month a tiny tiny vibration was added to the picture.. it felt like a small rock was stuck in the tire. vibration and noise would be noticeable only when going faster then 50mph.

Over the holidays I changed my wheel bearing.. and the noise and vibration is still there.

What else can it be?

There are a couple things I would expect:
1. Bad bearing. I know is a very small change of a bad bearing from factory.. but bearing was frozen for over 1 month (I forgot it in freezer) and after I installed it I noticed that one of the interior parts was wiggling. There are 2 rings on the inside of the bearing one of them was kinda loose.. is it normal? Can it be that bearing broke while I was installing it?

2. Lugnuts hitting parking brake springs. Vibrations started after my unsuccessful attempt at bearing replacement. I took the parking brake out and I have a feeling that springs that hold parking brake are not tight enough.. is there a way to diagnose it easily?

Any help and ideeas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Unfortunately, I think I know what you are talking about - the driving on gravel feeling....

I was thinking of changing the wheel bearings, and that's after I had replaced all the control arms/links up front, the suspension to M030. (waiting for the arms for the rear). Also had the wheels road force balanced.

My mechanic tells me that the "boxster has a very direct steering feel" so the vibration/gritty feel is the feedback from the road. And frankly, I'm not so convinced as these guys probably see just afew boxsters a year (unfortunately not many indes here).

It's not so bad and doesn't affect stability but the smally bumpy vibrations is kind of tiring after a while. And my e90 with rock solid run-flat tires "feels" less of the road than the boxster.

I've only had the chance to drive 1 boxster so don't know if this kind of feeling is normal ?? Anyone

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote