Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #1

Got code, got definition, now what?

First, I want to say what an excellent resource this web site is.

Now, the problem: I got a CEL ( Check Engine Light ) the other day, so I went to AutoZone, plugged in their computer and received a code" P1130.

I went to www.renntech.org and looked up P1130 to see what that means. The result was:

"Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold"

So now the problem is that I have no idea what the message means. Can anyone help with this. What is Adaptation Area 2, where do I find it, and how do I make the threshold correct?

I know there's someone on this excellent web resource who knows what to do!!!

Thanks again for building such a great site for all of us!

charliemonoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #2

Talking

Seems to me that you either have a bad O2 sensor or the car is running rich in the cylinders mentioned.

I think you need to chat with the service shop.

Thanks for the compliment on the site BTW!

Good luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #3

thius happened to me about 3 months ago...

i had my dealer swithc the O2 sensor...i think i paid about 700 or so....it was about $550 for the part and the rest was labor...

I was quite unhappy about the price ( I'm sure you will too!) ...but I got to borrow the dealer's Cheyenne S for a couple of days...
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #4

From what my mechanic tells me, most of the time when O2 sensors give CEL's, they need to be replaced... problem is that it's not good to replace just one. All four should be replaced unless the car is relatively new. You see, a new O2 sensor paired with 3 old ones will not give the readings the computer needs as some are old and fouled and one is not.

Don't let a dealership do this though... they'll kill you on price. You can buy the O2 sensors online (I bet Vertex or competition has them priced reasonably) and do it yourself if you have a jack stand, or buy them and have an independent mechanic install them for you in a couple of minutes each... it's just one twist of a wrench and unplugging it to remove them.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote