Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Most noticeable and enjoyable first mods?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and currently waiting to receive my 1998 New-To-Me Boxster with 84k miles. There were some minor issues with the car ( Foggy Headlights, ding in front hood) but it checked out at the porsche mechanic, he stated that I shouldnt worry one bit. And the cool thing is that the used dealer is actually fixing the headlights/dings/and also replacing a damaged Keyless entry/ ECU module.

Now to my real question.
What are the first mods I should treat myself to?
-Upgraded Stereo?
-New 3 spoke wheel?
-New leather seats(old ones are tear free, but in mediocre shape)
-Anything else?

Also is there any digital copy of the owners manual for the 98 boxster? I do not think the car comes with the manual, and I'd like to know the odds and ends as this is my first porsche.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

lawdog3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum, you should have fun in Texas!

I highly recommend a few books I got from Amazon. The first, IIRC is simply called, "The Boxster Owner's Manual," or something very similar.

The second is a brand-new release, written by a contributor on this forum, Wayne Dempsey. It is called, "101 projects for your Boxster." I just received it and it is very well-written and informative. Lots of good, color pictures in both.

I just completed a stereo upgrade, with a double-DIN Kenwood, new dash speakers and an amp behind the passenger seat. It makes a huge difference over the stock system.

My next projects are painting the calipers and installing an underdrive pulley.

Keep us posted, and let's see some pictures!

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #3

One of my favorite "mods" are new tires. Not too many other things make as much difference in the enjoyment level. Get the 101 project book too. Go down to the Walmart and buy some Meguiar's PlasticX for the rear window. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is at the Walmart too and I like it a lot. You'll need a real buffer to get the most out of it.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #4

9x7 OEM shifter assembly. Night and day difference IMO.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #5

Smile

I'm writing this knowing that you will end up doing all of the things on your list. And likely simultaneously within the first few months! The curse of buying your first Porsche.

Probably some sort of psychology test here in terms of what individual people focus on -- truly no wrong answers. But cosmetically I like working from the inside of the car out with an older vehicle.

I'd do the leather seats and and while they are out get it professionally steam cleaned the way the the dealerships do. And replace any component pieces that badly damaged or scratched. The cup holders on those early cars tend to look really bad and they are right in the line of sight.. Just makes me feel better about the car overall.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #6

But '98s didn't have cup holders

And even later 986 models had cup holders mounted in the exactly wrong place..over the electronics..so they are useless compared to ones in every other car I own.

My suggestion, drive the car. Figure out if it is a keeper before you go pouring time and $ into it. Start with safety, then functionality, then appearance.

Clean the back window, learn the chop, clean and preserve the seats and see how they look after that. Change the oil and examine the filter for debris. Inspect the cabin filter. Inspect the air filter. Change the brake fluid. Then drive for a while. After a month, then see what your priorities are...they could change.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #7

There should be a warning sticker on the cup holders that say "bottled drinks only"!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #8

Great Feedback

Thanks you for all of the great responses. I am pretty sure your right when you say I'll end up doing ALL of the mods. Just reading up on all the posibilities has me quite excited. I suppose I'll start with the basics, oil change/air filter. I ordered the Bentley Manual, as well as 101 Projects. I will be picking the car up on thursday and pics are sure to follow! Again thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #9

Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
9x7 OEM shifter assembly. Night and day difference IMO.
Im a little bit of a mechanical NOOB, so what would be the advantages of changing out the shifter? Would I need to replace the clutch and all that whilst im tinkering in there?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

No clutch replacement required for the shifter upgrade. It's a simple project that can be done inside the cabin in a couple of hours for a newby. I agree big bang for buck.

Just think carefully about whether you want the REGULAR 9x7 shifter or the SHORT 9x7 shifter. They're both OEM, but the short shifter is more $. I did the shorty and love it.

Lots of info in this and renntech.org. The Search function is your friend.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #11

Simple things first, remove the snorkel!
Your left ear will appreciate the music.
Your wallet, not so much because you'll always be looking for a reason to be around 4k rpm's.
Don't try pulling it off or it might take all day, mine came off easily when I bent it toward the back of the car.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

I have had my '99 Boxster for two months. Here are my suggestions:

Safety, then Function, then Appearance:

Safety - New brakes (rotors and pads). An excellent braking system is always a great investment in a used vehicle and most used Porsche's are in need of replacement.

Function - New tires. Seems that every used Boxster needs new rear tires and you might as well do all four and get what you want. I got new Michelin PS2's.

Appearance - Painted brake calipers. Everyone will notice them and it really gives the car a great sports car look.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

i definitely agree with desnorkeling. makes a difference. then, if you can, the crios muffler mod. search it. but, essentially, drilling holes in your pipes to give you the deep growl. it works!