Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Moving the aircon controls down to the CD slots

I'm considering adding a 2-din stereo to my 01 box. (adding a dvd unit with nav and reverse camera - been bumping into too many things behind).

Has anyone moved the aircon controls from the top of the centre console down to where the CD storage slots are ?

Is this a simple move or do I need to buy some adapters from Porsche ??

I've seen a 00 S with a factory navigation system and the aircon controls are at the bottom, so I know this can be done... but what does it involve ?

Anyone done this before ?

shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
I'm considering adding a 2-din stereo to my 01 box. (adding a dvd unit with nav and reverse camera - been bumping into too many things behind).

Has anyone moved the aircon controls from the top of the centre console down to where the CD storage slots are ?

I've seen a 00 S with a factory navigation system and the aircon controls are at the bottom, so I know this can be done... but what does it involve ?

Recent Install - DVD Navigation

I have aftermarket nav in my car (my AC control is at CD storage slots). I can't say on how hard is that to install it because it came with the car when I bought it (used).
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8

I moved the A/C on my 2003 S and it wasn't that difficult at all. All of the wiring reached fine. I believe there was one piece of trim you need to buy to fit around the A/C in the lower spot since the lower spot is shaped a little different. The trim was only like $20 if I recall
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #4

Easy to do...the console components are modular, so you can move them around to a certain degree. My HVAC controls were actually in the lower position and I opted to move them to the top; reverse of your process. As mentioned, you need to purchase the bezel (inexpensive).
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Do a search for "cupholderectomy" here and on renntech.org. Lots of details. I also moved mine from bottom to top once I pulled the useless cupholders.