Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #1

Rear wheel bearing replacement question

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing my rear wheel bearing and I hit a problem:

How do I use ball joint separator?
I got one of these : http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-37990-Joint-Separator/dp/B000SIFO3M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293516917&sr=8-3

However.. I want to push the controll arm down not to press things.. I tried to look online.. but all I see is a fork.. there is no reference on how to use this type.

Also it seems that my wrenches do not fit into small spaces in there? Do I need special (thin wrenches?)

Same goes for torx + 19mm wrench to loosen ball joint bolt.. there is no way a torx will fit on top of the bolt without cutting the CV boot.

How do you guys do it??

One more thing.. if anyone will be writing a DIY guide.. please take pictures and explain how to do these things.. I read both "bearing 102" and pelican parts guide.. and everyone is concerned about how to use SIR tool.. no onw really explains how to get to that point

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

This should answer all of your questions:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings.htm
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #3

That's one of the links I'm using.

Wayne suggests using the fork.. also he says to use torx on a ratchet for ball joint bolt and there is too little space between the bolt and the cv boot to put a torx in there, let alone ratchet.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Figured out what I was doing wrong.. I was trying to use ball joint on lower control arm not on track arm.. and it won't fit in there.

Next question: How do I remove eccentric bolt?

I read that "it can be a bugger to get out" well.. it is.
I can move it about 5mm and then it gets stuck.. also I read that you have to use a pry bar to releive the pressure .. How do I use it? where should I push the control arm? up/down/left/right?

How did you got the bolt out?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #5

Exclamation

I'm down to extracting the wheel bearing using SIR tool.

However, I got a question again:#12 adapter fit's on the outer side of the wheel carrier to the bearing, but but not on the inner side of the carrier
from the inside of the carrier wheel bearing is covered with a some kind of washer I think..
Does anyone know what that is?

BTW wheel bearing did not break when I pulled thew hub, hub just came out.. is it normal?

Thanks
Sasha
Attached Images

Last edited by sasha055; 01-03-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

I attached the picture.. the "washer" that I pointed the green arrow at.. how do I get it out?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

My bad, I was supposed to use smaller adapter.

New bearing is in!
A couple more questions:
1. How do I get lower control arm back? It's so tight I cann't get it in. any tips here?
2. After installing new bearing I noticed that one of the parts inside the bearing is moving, is it normal?

Thanks
Sasha