Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Porsche Tool Kit

Hi,
Just wondering what Porsche Tool Kit do you guys use for maintenance and repair.

How about the Porsche special Tool Kit offered on Porsche Shop Online? Is that any good?

xiaohu.2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

I have already had a Standley 201 Piece 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" Drive Mechanics Tool Set

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SMT+MECH+SETS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=91-988&SDesc=201+Piece+1%2F4%26%2334%3B%2C+3%2F8%26%2334% 3B%2C+%26+1%2F2%26%2334%3B+Drive+Mechanics+Tool+Se t

Do I need any other tools for maintenance or repairing?

Thx
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
JTP

Porsche oil filter wrench, security torx wrench set.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #4

I have owned Snap-on, Thorsen, Wright and few others...all high quality drop forged tools. I now own Craftsman and find the quality equal to Snap-on. Stanley makes an average quality and now they are made in China. Craftsman comes with a life time replacement and as to date I have only replaced 1 box end wrench that had to be better than 20 years old. The reason for the Craftsman is that it is a complete master set with Metric and SAE wrenches. I still have CDI, Snap-on and Craftsman Torque Wrenches. And, by the way, my dad was a Mechanic/Machinist and these where his tools that I inherited.

You can use a universal oil filter tool on the filter. It is really not that tight. You will need the Torx set...be sure to get the small and larger set...there about $16-18 bucks each.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Porsche oil filter wrench, security torx wrench set.
thx
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
I have owned Snap-on, Thorsen, Wright and few others...all high quality drop forged tools. I now own Craftsman and find the quality equal to Snap-on. Stanley makes an average quality and now they are made in China. Craftsman comes with a life time replacement and as to date I have only replaced 1 box end wrench that had to be better than 20 years old. The reason for the Craftsman is that it is a complete master set with Metric and SAE wrenches. I still have CDI, Snap-on and Craftsman Torque Wrenches. And, by the way, my dad was a Mechanic/Machinist and these where his tools that I inherited.

You can use a universal oil filter tool on the filter. It is really not that tight. You will need the Torx set...be sure to get the small and larger set...there about $16-18 bucks each.

standley also offers lifetime warranty, but i think i will get one craftman in future.

btw, what small and large sets refer to...?

thx