Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #1

Gas won't go in gas tank?

I tried to fill tank and even clicking nozzle on slowest setting it would back up and spew out as if tank were full. Also when I did get it full fuel was setting at top of the neck. It only took 6 gallons. It took almost 10 minutes to put 6 gallons in, just a little as slow as possible at a time. Gas gauge would only show half a tank?

Brand new owner this is first time to add any gas.

IndyGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I've had this problem and in my case it was the evaporate canister. There are several possible causes though. This thread should point you in the right direction:

Boxster spits back fuel

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #3

Congrats on your new to you Boxster. They are great cars!

In order to get the best help possible, please let us know the Model Year?
The problem you describe can vary by year...

- could be fuse E6
- could be evap canister
- could be loose fuel sending unit tubes
- could be bad fuel gauge sensor (might car really be full - not at all likely or you would be asking the question - just filled up but tank shows only 3/4...)

A quick search on the above "could be" will give you more info on each and how to resolve but again remember some are model year dependent...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

crazy fix from this board

I had the exact same thing happen not long after I acquired my low-mileage 2003 S - so just as you did, I immediately came here to look for a fix. Once I had gone through the primary steps that were suggested without success (checking fuses, etc.), I decided to try one of the 'solutions' I had been very skeptical of - since the problem had developed suddenly, one of the posts here suggested that it might have been something getting dislodged or twisted, and that I should take a very spirited drive, with a few full applications of the brakes. That sounded like fun, even though I did not think it could possibly work, so I did it. The problem was solved immediately! That was well over a year ago, and I've never had the issue again. Seems crazy, but it worked for me ... good luck (but be careful if you do this - I went to a remote area ...)
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I was excited to make my first post and afterwards did search and found some of the same problems and some of the possible fixes. Lucky I have this as a second car and fixed a few issues on my list today as well as clean and organized my garage to bring it inside. I will check the fuse first after I get home from work Monday. Also the spirited drive sounds like a fun try at a solution.

I thought the gas gauge may not be working correctly however I did drive some Friday and stopped and put gas in. Added around 6 or seven gallons and fuel gauge did read about 5/8ths most fuel I have got in it. So hopefully gauge is functioning correctly.

Both low beams were burnt out when I picked it up? Ordered 2 online due to local price being so expensive.

IndyGreg is offline   Reply With Quote