Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Maybe another car...................

This may be the wrong forum to bring up discussion about a non-Porsche, but most of you are sports car knowledgeable, so I'll ask. Have any of you owned a Corvette, or thought about buying a Corvette instead of your Boxster?

I am thinking about buying a 2011 Corvette as an additional vehicle (keeping the 2007 Boxster S). Are there any negatives with the Corvette? If you were thinking Corvette, what made you go the Porsche route?

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #2

I did the opposite, I went to buy another Corvette and ended up buying Porsche Boxster.

Corvettes are great cars and the best bang for the buck on and off the track. I just loved the way the Boxster handles the only other car that handles better then the Boxster/cayman is my Lotus Elise that I track and sometimes drive on the road.

The Corvette is a great car and doesn't get nearly as much respect it deserves.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #3

A negative to owning a corvette........ everybody else owns one.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #4

Jake, does eveyone own a Corvette because it is a great car?
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
JTP

I've only driven older Corvettes, an '86 and a '92 and they were horrible but the C6 vettes are supposed to be very good car. I want to like the Corvette but there's something about them i don't like. Maybe if I drove a C6 I might change my mind.
If you like it and can afford to have both Porsche and a Corvette, do it!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

The way I heard it stated is "You may own a Corvette but it is still just a Chevy." That said Chevorlet has really stepped up their game with the Corvette. I think it would be a fun car to drive but just not a joy to drive on a daily basis. I now for a fact if I had a new boxster and a new vette sitting in my drive that the vette would be left at home...ALOT.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetekouw
This may be the wrong forum to bring up discussion about a non-Porsche, but most of you are sports car knowledgeable, so I'll ask. Have any of you owned a Corvette, or thought about buying a Corvette instead of your Boxster?

I am thinking about buying a 2011 Corvette as an additional vehicle (keeping the 2007 Boxster S). Are there any negatives with the Corvette? If you were thinking Corvette, what made you go the Porsche route?
30 years of corvettes. i went to porsche to slow down...they sure fit the bill
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #8

Drove several

Vettes among the dozen cars I considered when buying my first Boxster. Just never rung my bell..big and heavy. Maybe it was because I was used to '60s era sportscars with light weight and their 1.6litre engines. Drove the Boxster for perhaps a mile before it made my decision for me...it was that quick.

Go out and let your butt-o-meter tell you what fits your wants. No reason yours should be the same as mine.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #9

I have a 986 and Z06. The Z06 is my daily driver by choice. To me, it's a comfortable car for even longer trips. I can't think of one bad thing to say about it except the cup holder is really shallow and it seems as though it really wasn't meant to hold anything but change. I would also note the stock seats aren't as supportive for a car that can perform lateral maneuvers up to 1.01g. Every time I hop in and start the motor it puts a smile on my face just like the first day I got it. It really is a performance bargain for what it can do. Personally I chose this car b/c my priority is in performance. A lot of people complain about the lack of luster in the interior but for those people I would recommend a dining set. 18/28 mpg isn't too shabby either.
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubu986
18/28 mpg isn't too shabby either.
Especially when you consider that it will out accelerate a Boxster and has a higher top speed. Parts are WAY cheaper, and maintenance should be also.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #11

Smile i have had 3 vettes

the thing about vettes are like any other american muscle...great to run a straightline, but can;t hold water around curves...i will admit that while driving a vette gets a lot of looks...it is a chevy and nothing can change that fact...and just like the porsche, there are different models of the same car...think "s" and base...with the vettes, the difference between the models are wayyyy to far apart...zo6 vs base...that said, regarding a vette you have to get the zo6 for it to truly perform like a vette should...not the same with the boxster...while trim levels have changed to be more refined, it is still a boxster. You can be just as happy with a base..if hp is not what you absolutley have to have, as you can with an "s"..imho......just a thought!!!!!

J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote