986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just bought my first Porsche! a 1997 Boxster.(photo) A few questions for the experts- (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27207-just-bought-my-first-porsche-1997-boxster-photo-few-questions-experts.html)

connecticutporsche 12-19-2010 12:33 PM

Just bought my first Porsche! a 1997 Boxster.(photo) A few questions for the experts-

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if you could help me out with a few things.
I just picked up a 1997 Boxster, w/ approximately 75k miles. The car has a clean car fax and it was very well cared for. A few of the modifications include: L.E.D. tail lights, spoiler, gt3 style body kit, carbon fiber hood, and upgraded 18" Porsche wheels with P Zero tires.

I bought the car knowing it has a few minor (hopefully) issues, and I would greatly appreciate your help!

1) On a cold start, the car puffs white smoke for about 15-30 seconds out of the exhaust. I drove the car about 100 miles home yesterday and the gas may have been sitting for 6 months or so. In my brief research, it sounds like this is normal- should I worry about this?

2) The passenger door will not lock. Is this also a common issue? I've tried the remote, manually inserting the key, and also made sure the battery was fully charged. Is this most likely a broken lock system? I have a replacement part, however it's not from 1997 and the plug has 9 pins instead of 8 (which I know need)... Should I simply replace the lock mechanism?

3) An indicator for the trunk (or is it the spoiler) has turned on and off intermittently, (usually lasts until I begin driving) any way to resolve this easily?

Thanks, I look forward to contributing to a great forum!

SeanZ4 12-19-2010 05:03 PM

The spoiler indicator light is normal. That was the first thing I asked about when I bought my S a few years ago! It should, or at least mine does, come on for the first few minutes of driving. I wouldn't worry about it and I'm sure someone has a lot better explanation as to the "why" part..

The smoke could be normal due to the characteristics of the flat 6 but you say it lasts 30 seconds??? That would make me lean towards the possibility of an AOS failure. Do a search on this forum and there will lots of info. Not saying it is that, but it could be.

I'm not sure on the door lock problem, but once again, I 'm sure there's lots of info on this wonderful forum. I just haven't had that particular problem yet.

sean

connecticutporsche 12-19-2010 05:11 PM

Thanks Sean-
I drove the car earlier tonight and topped off the gas tank with fresh gas- premium octane of course- and I didn't notice the white smoke upon startup. As far as the spoiler, is there a manual control to raise/ lower it?

Thanks again.

jbs986 12-19-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4
The spoiler indicator light is normal. That was the first thing I asked about when I bought my S a few years ago! It should, or at least mine does, come on for the first few minutes of driving. I wouldn't worry about it and I'm sure someone has a lot better explanation as to the "why" part..

The smoke could be normal due to the characteristics of the flat 6 but you say it lasts 30 seconds??? That would make me lean towards the possibility of an AOS failure. Do a search on this forum and there will lots of info. Not saying it is that, but it could be.

I'm not sure on the door lock problem, but once again, I 'm sure there's lots of info on this wonderful forum. I just haven't had that particular problem yet.

sean

+1, And manual control for spoiler is loc. on drivers side of the car it is loc. on the fuse box it is a small black switch. :)

SeanZ4 12-19-2010 05:48 PM

just thought of another thing

I just noticed you have an aftermarket spoiler. Is your original one still there? Is that one mounted to the trunk or down into the area of the original?? I saw one at a car show awhile back and the whole trunk and spoiler area had been changed. I guess if you take jbs986's advice on how to raise and lower the spoiler you'll know soon enough.

sean

connecticutporsche 12-27-2010 09:49 PM

Yes I have the original spoiler and the aftermarket installed. The light goes off after a minute, so I've decided I'm not going to worry about it.
I've seen some great cars here on the forum and I've been inspired by some of the mods. Can any one point me in the right direction to remove the amber from my front lights?

Thanks again.

henryphotos333 12-28-2010 12:54 AM

looks great! i have the same year , same color. but stock :cheers:

WhipE350 12-28-2010 07:35 AM

Welcome and congrats, I'm pretty new too but have many hours already on my car.

- For the white smoke, ya replace the air/oil separator IF it needs it, easy change.
- The spoiler light, yup it is suppose to do that, it is a safety thing, the system does some tests to make sure the spoiler is ok because if it doesn't come up at 75mph porsche doesn't want your back end to get lite...the owners manual talks about it and is helpful...I can't remember the details but it was very good explanation.
- I've seen some posts about the door locks, do some more searching...likely hood is someone will post here and point you in right direction.

JTP 12-28-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connecticutporsche
Can any one point me in the right direction to remove the amber from my front lights?

The only way to eliminate the amber on your headlights is to replace them with post 2002 units. I've seen some apply tint film over them but I don't think that is legal in most states nor do they look good.

schnellman 12-28-2010 11:08 AM

DeAmbering

It took me two years to complete the "de-ambering" process because I'm cheap. I bought smoked side marker lights from Pelican Parts. The tail lights I got through Ebay (from a wrecking yard), and the headlight units I bought from a fellow on this forum. The guy gave me a deal on the headlights -- I got both of them in perfect working order with bulbs for $400.

J'sboxie 12-29-2010 11:49 AM

First thing first...

Welcome to this very information-filled forum! The first thing is to get out that owners' manual and read it from front to back...very important! Second...white smoke at start-up can and is usually caused by the very design of the flat6. It is oil that is burning off...mostly..however, if the smoke "screen" lasts for more than a few secs (30+ secs. is a little long) or is a funky colour, ie blueish..it needs to be gone over by a mechanic. The light that is illuminating with a picture of the spolier, is designed to turn off after you reach a "moving speed". (discussed in the manual).

And again...welcome to 986 forums and the wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) world of Boxsters!!!!! :cheers:

oh and p.s.....the search function is your friend as well!!

connecticutporsche 01-05-2011 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year all! Thanks for your help.

I bought the car with some mods, and I'm looking to pretty much keep it the way it is. The car was repainted when the body kit was installed ($4000 paint job, matches OEM quality) and looks showroom ready when its clean! I'm tempted to put the original hood back on the car, not sure if I'm feeling the carbon fiber look. Any opinions out there?

Update regarding issues:
As far as the smoke is concerned, it does continue for over 30 seconds- but I'm starting the car only once a week and the car is mainly garaged in the winter. Could it simply be the temperature here in New England, and the fact the car is sitting a week at a time? The smoke isn't sweet smelling so I'm assuming its oil.
I do plan on taking the car for a quick spin on nice days over the winter, as long as the roads are clean. Perhaps I'll take it to one of the recommended Porsche mechanics in my area.

I installed a new lock assembly on the passenger door, which I bought from VW ($300 cheaper than the $500 Porsche part, and the same exact part #) It works and locks but I cant unlock it unless I reach over and pull the door handle.

Right now the car is sitting as I impatiently wait for Spring 2011! Does anyone have any advice regarding service, etc before then?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the cosmetic mods:
Fresh paint job
OEM Hardtop
LED front bumper lights
LED Tail lights
GT3? Bodykit (front bumper and side skirts)
17" wheels (Anyone know the name of these wheels?)
Aftermarket fixed spoiler
Carbon Fiber hood
Carbon fiber "Humps" for behind head rests
Alarm system

Thanks for the help!

Perfectlap 01-05-2011 05:59 PM

welcome. paint hood lapis blue immediately. do not pass go.

Litronics would improve the look greatly but dang are they expensive now. glue a sliver porsche crest onto the hood. All Porsches should come with identifcation on the fron and rear hood. I have 986 S on the back with the S in red. The graphics look pretty good although I think grey would have been a little more sublte (and matched the interior). Ferry Porsche had door graphics on his one off custom made mint green 2.7 so don't let anyone tell you its a ricer mod.

connecticutporsche 01-05-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
welcome. paint hood lapis blue immediately. do not pass go.

The graphics look pretty good although I think grey would have been a little more sublte. Ferry Porsche had door graphics on his one off custom made mint green 2.7

Thanks- yeah as I mentioned in the last post I got the original hood with the car, I'll probably re-install that when I get a chance.

Also thanks for mentioning the color of the car- I thought it was Ocean Blue Metallic… guess I should check the paint code!

Perfectlap 01-06-2011 06:28 AM

yeah you know that does look a bit darker than Lapis blue in that picture.
Looks great with the hard top. Post a few more pics of the rear spoiler. If that's the factory Tequipment unit those are rarely seen. I always thought some graphics on top of those would look cool but since you already have door graphics it would be a bit much like when someone wears a ring, a watch, a bracelet and a pinky ring.

danyl55 01-06-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connecticutporsche
Happy New Year all! Thanks for your help.

I bought the car with some mods, and I'm looking to pretty much keep it the way it is. The car was repainted when the body kit was installed ($4000 paint job, matches OEM quality) and looks showroom ready when its clean! I'm tempted to put the original hood back on the car, not sure if I'm feeling the carbon fiber look. Any opinions out there?

Update regarding issues:
As far as the smoke is concerned, it does continue for over 30 seconds- but I'm starting the car only once a week and the car is mainly garaged in the winter. Could it simply be the temperature here in New England, and the fact the car is sitting a week at a time? The smoke isn't sweet smelling so I'm assuming its oil.
I do plan on taking the car for a quick spin on nice days over the winter, as long as the roads are clean. Perhaps I'll take it to one of the recommended Porsche mechanics in my area.

I installed a new lock assembly on the passenger door, which I bought from VW ($300 cheaper than the $500 Porsche part, and the same exact part #) It works and locks but I cant unlock it unless I reach over and pull the door handle.

Right now the car is sitting as I impatiently wait for Spring 2011! Does anyone have any advice regarding service, etc before then?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the cosmetic mods:
Fresh paint job
OEM Hardtop
LED front bumper lights
LED Tail lights
GT3? Bodykit (front bumper and side skirts)
17" wheels (Anyone know the name of these wheels?)
Aftermarket fixed spoiler
Carbon Fiber hood
Carbon fiber "Humps" for behind head rests
Alarm system

Thanks for the help!

I have the same 17" wheels on my 97---they are stock--good luck with it--