Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Checklist Questions

I'm actually going tomorrow to pick up my Boxster, rather excited about that. I've gone over a few of the checklists I've found on the Porsche forums, but is there any preferred/best one to use for the 986? I want to make sure all applicable items are with the car when I get it. The wind blocker (all three pieces) is already there.

Also, dumb question, where is the toolkit in relation to the spare tire? I wanted to ensure that all items are in place.

Thanks.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #2

The toolkit is inside a foam retainer on the inside of the spare. One of many things I would do differently, make sure the PO hands over two keys and a valet key. Seems one time Porsche owners like to keep the key for, i don't know, tossing on the bar in front of women? I really don't know why but I'd get three next time.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
JTP

Tool kit is in the pouch of the spare tire cover. Make sure the wheel lock key and headlight removal tool is there.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

There is a list of things you should look for

besides the car
I'll make it easy

* The Owner’s manual in a leather case (often in a holder under the steering column)
* Dealer Directory
* The Radio Manual
* The Warranty Booklet (all needed services stamped?)
* Boxster accessories booklet
* 2 remote keys (Figure hundreds to replace or acquire one)
* 1 valet key (much smaller than the normal remote key and lacks the remote opening key head)
* The key codes card that tells the dealer what the security computer is coded to accept. Needed if you lose your key and want another one created ($$$$$). If the car has passed through multiple hands it has probably been lost. The dealer can't just retrieve this info without going back to Germany with proofs (for anti-theft reasons).
* The Radio “code” card for pre-2003 cars (The 4 digit numeric code is needed if the battery is disconnected or run down to reactivate the radio. May also be written into the warranty book or on the options sticker under the front hood)
* The spare tire and spare tire cover
* Jack (behind the spare)
* The tool kit including:In a black plastic case often in a pouch covering the spare tire
* Jack handle
* Headlight removal tool
* Phillips screwdriver
* 10/13 open ended wrench
* Wheel lug lock socket (if applicable)
* Lug nut socket
* Towing hook
* Windscreen storage bag
* Yellow flannel cloth protector (perhaps 14" by 30") that goes in between layers of the rear window when the car is to be stored with the top down or driven that way for a long time.
* Floor mats

Ask for any records of maintenance that would enable you to establish that the required maintenance to maintain the warranty was done. Future potential buyers of Porsche’s will pay more the better the service is documented.

Was the Engine replaced? Mass Airflow sensor? The coolant tank? Rear Main Seal? Air-Oil Separator (AOS) tank? These are common Boxster problems with improved parts available compared to early production year versions.

Look at the rear tire for unusual/uneven wear to check the alignment.

Ask for any records of tire, battery or other replacement items that may be still under a warranty.

Ask for any documentation of any transferable warranty.

Ask if the original window sticker is available.

Ask if the owned has any special cleaning supplies he has used to maintain the car that he would include in the sale.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #5

Cool

Detail the car and full tank (93) of gas before drive off the lot with the big smile on your face.

lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote