Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Finally back after 2 years!!

Not sure if anyone remeber me, but i do remeber alot of memeber from 2 years ago..

I had a 99 boxster with 18k miles and i sold it for a BMW 335i coupe, after 2 years with the bmw( it was a great car very fast, but it just wasnt fun), i sold it and picked up a 2006 Cayman S with 21k miles on it, it is by far one of the best cars i have ever ownd.

im very happy to be back in the P-car world

Old 12-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #2

Very Nice. With a garage that nice, you oughta straighten those blinds out lol.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #3

Welcome back.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Beautiful car, just stunning.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Last edited by Deserion; 12-12-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #5

Niiiice

Congrats and Welcome back. How do you think the Cayman differs from the boxster in terms of the driving sensation?
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #6

Welcome back and congrats on the new purchase! Lots has happened on here over the last two years ... Err ... Well not really, it's the same old recipie.

Either way, congratulations! The car looks great!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

Welcome back, buddy!

There's still a few of us old timers around. Man, you've just purchased my latest dream car. The right color combo too.

If it has full leather, xenons, bose, and navi, I'm really gonna be jealous.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Welcome back, buddy!

There's still a few of us old timers around. Man, you've just purchased my latest dream car. The right color combo too.

If it has full leather, xenons, bose, and navi, I'm really gonna be jealous.
haha LONG time no talk..
Its great to be back

Its got everything you stated above except for the full leather interior ..

ill post up some higher quality pictures later on this week when my buddy comes down form college for winter break, he truly does take some amazing shots

hope everyone is doing well and in good health!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #9

Welcome back! That is a great looking car you got there.

Enjoy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #10

A Cayman S is probably going to be my next car too.

I also owned a 335 that I bought new with the intention of keeping for a decade. I was very disappointed in it and I decided to sell it. I actually was contemplating a Cayman S, but opted for a great deal on a used Boxster S.

The 335 is wicked fast. But I found the driving experience to be poor.

It doesn't have "turbo lag" like a Saab from 1995. But it does suffer from poor throttle response. You simply can't rely on the throttle to drive the car thru a corner. This is something the Boxster is exceptionally good at. The BMW shifter was a fight. It never wanted to go into gear. And I had a very hard time driving the 6 speed smoothly. It was comical. Finally the steering assist was way too high, the steering feedback was poor. You would have a hard time holding a steady line through a corner with your foot on the throttle. Hardly a sportscar.

All of this combined to give the car an A+ for straight line grunt, but C's in some very important areas.

I think the biggest flaw though in the 335 is that you could never "push" the car. It just takes all of the fun out of driving it.

/
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
The 335 is wicked fast. But I found the driving experience to be poor.

It doesn't have "turbo lag" like a Saab from 1995. But it does suffer from poor throttle response. You simply can't rely on the throttle to drive the car thru a corner. This is something the Boxster is exceptionally good at. The BMW shifter was a fight. It never wanted to go into gear. And I had a very hard time driving the 6 speed smoothly. It was comical. Finally the steering assist was way too high, the steering feedback was poor. You would have a hard time holding a steady line through a corner with your foot on the throttle. Hardly a sportscar.
I went for a BMW test drive event in the summer, and I couldn't figure out what the big deal with BMW is. Their so called Ultimate Driving Machines.

You talk to a lot of kids, and they'll do anything to get a BMW, their step up from Hondas and G35s I guess. It's really all relative.

Now an old E30, that's a different story...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #12

I have a lease 2008 cayman S. When the lease is up in a year I was thinking about going the BMW 335 route just to save money. The cayman S is an expensive car considering I only put a few thousand miles a year on it. You have me second guessing myself now......

I have a feeling that I am not going to be too happy with any other car now that I am used to my cayman.
Evan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528
I have a lease 2008 cayman S. When the lease is up in a year I was thinking about going the BMW 335 route just to save money. The cayman S is an expensive car considering I only put a few thousand miles a year on it. You have me second guessing myself now......

I have a feeling that I am not going to be too happy with any other car now that I am used to my cayman.

When the time comes test drive it, decide for yourself. Maybe the Cayman is actually a bargain?

The 335 is a strong highway cruiser. It gets good gas mileage, it's quiet and has effortless acceleration.

The new BMW 1M may be a interesting option. I suspect the M car will correct many of the things I didn't like about the 335.

TO THE OP - welcome back...

/

Last edited by fatmike; 12-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote