Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

2000 Boxster need help?

I found 2000 Boxster 27k miles with sport package.Asking price was $14500.I talked them down to $12000.It's need new rear window(3 inches crack) and 4 new tires?
Good deal or not?
Thanks

ART07154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #2

Not a great deal. But if paint, interior, and all else is flawless plus the car is well optioned, then it could be an OK deal. Mileage is certainly nice and low, but that can be a curse on these cars. Does it have full service history? Despite the low mileage, it should have had an oil change every 12 months... if not, walk away. Also there are common failures on MY2000 -- AOS, coolant tank -- that will cost you $$ at some point if not already replaced.

Replacing the rear window will cost your $400-$500. Call Lim's in Tysons Corner, VA -- they do great work at good prices.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #3

not to hijack the thread, but i have a black canvas top with the plastic window that was taken off my '01 when i replaced it with a GAHH. if you get the car the top is yours if you come pick it up. that would leave the cost to put it on or you can do it yourself with the right tools / knowledge.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #4

If it's the right one, color, options, etc., sounds like a good deal. Is it one owner, is it a base model...also the 2000 where a lot better than the first 3 years. I paid $15,700 for my 2000 S and it was exactly the car I had been looking for. I know a lot of guys say you can do better but then when they go to sell, they also want the best price for their Boxster. All things must be taken into consideration. I would have a PPI done to be sure the Boxster is in the condition you think it is.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #5

Maybe a good deal

Tires...depending on size can run from $600-1200.

Top can run from $300 DIY to maybe $1200.

So take the top of each of those costs...$2400 and add to the $12k...you come out on the OK side.

The temperatures are below freezing. The seller has to be motivated. So insist on a Pre-Purchase-Inspection by a Porsche mechanic. Invest maybe $250 to take much of the uncertainty and risk out of buying a car that old and in that cosmetic condition. Better to know what else the car will cost to get in good maintainable condition up front as only then would you know if the deal was really good. What if, after you bought, you discovered $1500 in repairs it needed...that would set the deal into the bad deal column.

PS...I'd rather have this car from your neck of the woods too.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #6

2000 Boxster

I talked to my friend who's finance manager at Bmw dealership for 8 years.He told me that he can get me a 2 years powertrain warranty for $700(his employee price)He can't do bumper to bumper because of the age of the car.I think it's still worth it at $700?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART07154
I talked to my friend who's finance manager at Bmw dealership for 8 years.He told me that he can get me a 2 years powertrain warranty for $700(his employee price)He can't do bumper to bumper because of the age of the car.I think it's still worth it at $700?
You'll find very mixed feelings about warranties here, mostly negative. They often will try to find a way to get out of covering but $700 is a pretty price. I had a warranty added to my purchase from a Porsche dealer to cover until 102,000 miles. Even though I know they might try to reneg on coverage but it give me just a little piece of mind.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

2000 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
You'll find very mixed feelings about warranties here, mostly negative. They often will try to find a way to get out of covering but $700 is a pretty price. I had a warranty added to my purchase from a Porsche dealer to cover until 102,000 miles. Even though I know they might try to reneg on coverage but it give me just a little piece of mind.
Powertrain warranty should cover RMS and IMS problems?$12000 for the car.$700 for 2 yars powertrain warranty.$600 for 4 tires and $400 for new rear window.Am I still come out a good deal.I like the car because clean carfax and 27k miles?
Btw is 2000 is the good year to buy?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
JTP

Quote:
Powertrain warranty should cover RMS and IMS problems?$12000 for the car.$700 for 2 yars powertrain warranty.$600 for 4 tires and $400 for new rear window.Am I still come out a good deal.I like the car because clean carfax and 27k miles?
Btw is 2000 is the good year to buy?
Yes, powertrain 'should' cover IMS and RMS but some on this forum have said they were denied coverage for some odd reason and some have had positive experiences. Since your friend works at the dealer you might have more clout when it comes time to submit the claim.
Is this car an S model? Also don't forget about tonycarreon's post above. He offered you a top in good condition if you pick it up. As for tire, I just recently bought a set of tires for mine, 18" rims, for about $700 but you'll want to figure in another $100 for a four wheel alignment. The car is due for a 30k mile service, maybe you can figure that into your bargaining argument. Is this at a dealer?
If the window is cracked, is there water damage inside? How are the brakes? What is the service history, if it even has a documented history? If it has no history, after you get it you'll need to figure in the cost of doing oil change, coolant flush, brake fluid change, trans fluid change if it's a Tip, and whatever else you may want to address.
Whatever you do, get a PPI done before committing to any car.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Ha, JTP beat me to it - but here goes anyway......

Art - you are still only seeng the top of the iceberg.
Have you factored in the upcoming maintenance and insurance costs? If you are good with the spanners, you can save heaps of $$, but if you have to take the car to a shop, you had best be prepared for some significant bills. Its a certain fact that ALL cars need maintenance, repairs and the replacement of mundane parts like brake pads, rotors, air / cabin filters, spark plugs etc etc.
Boxsters are no exception, with known weaknesses like AOS failure, MAF replacement and plug coils high on the list - and these can bite without any prior warning to the owner. The other problem to consider is that some these parts can be expensive to buy and doubly so if you have to get a shop to install them....
As a general rule of thumb, I always put aside 10% of the purchase price for unknowns......

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 12-08-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #11

2000 vs 2003

Thank you everybody for your input.It came down between 2 cars both are from daeler and same color that I like.
1.2003 base model with sport package 25k miles. I talked them down to $16800.Tires have 60% left.
2.2000 base model with sport package 27kmiles (crack rear window and need new tires)$12000.
I've been approved from Navy fcu for $18000.
This will be my weekend car.I have 2007 Honda Accord EX for daily commute and I am selling my 97 Miata with 145k.
The 2003 is at the top on my. budget but I it's better deal and better standard equipped car I can do it.

Last edited by ART07154; 12-08-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #12

Still difficult to swallow that these cars (which many of us paid big $ for) are almost give-a-ways in our present climate. I think my return on investment is much like the tech portfolio I bought around the same time!

Drive it and enjoy the moment...mine's put away for the winter and I can hardly wait until spring already...20 degrees today, with more snow coming in tomorrow.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Still difficult to swallow that these cars (which many of us paid big $ for) are almost give-a-ways in our present climate. I think my return on investment is much like the tech portfolio I bought around the same time!
I had a similar thought. I bought my car 5 years ago and it was similar to the one ART0715 is considering, but without the top issue. I paid $21,250. At least I'm better off than the first owner. He paid close to $50,000 and drove it only 30,000 miles - or about a dollar a mile.

That said, my car was garage kept and had all the service records. It looked like a new car after I shined it up. If the depreciation cost for driving it 30,000 miles and almost five years is $10,000 I guess that is not too bad.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
pk2

Quote:
I found 2000 Boxster 27k miles with sport package.Asking price was $14500.I talked them down to $12000.It's need new rear window(3 inches crack) and 4 new tires?
Good deal or not?
Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who cares, you'll be in it double by the time you try to get your money back out of it.

Buy and enjoy, PK
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I had a similar thought. I bought my car 5 years ago and it was similar to the one ART0715 is considering, but without the top issue. I paid $21,250. At least I'm better off than the first owner. He paid close to $50,000 and drove it only 30,000 miles - or about a dollar a mile.

That said, my car was garage kept and had all the service records. It looked like a new car after I shined it up. If the depreciation cost for driving it 30,000 miles and almost five years is $10,000 I guess that is not too bad.

I read a lot of posts from owners bemoaning the value of their Boxster today versus what they paid for it new. This really shouldn't come as any surprise. Any new $50K vehicle is going to be worth about half its value in 5-6 years regardless of make or model.

And in the Boxster's case, they were manufactured in relatively high volumes and there isn't anything particularly collectable about them to keep the residual value higher than comparable vehicles from BMW or MB.

As a comparison, I just sold my 2002 BMW X5 for just slightly more than I paid for my used 1999 Boxster. Both were base models without tons of options and both vehicles sold for just under $50K new. The Boxster had 30K fewer miles than my X5 but that was mostly negated by the X5 being 3 years newer. So, at the end of the day, they were within $2,500 of each other which really isn't any big deal at all (its in the noise).

thstone is offline   Reply With Quote