Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

Depo LED Taillight too bright?

Okay, I bought the Depo LED tail lights that a lot of others seem to like... but I noticed that the LED brightness for the parking/tail lights is the same as the brakes. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any simple ways to reduce the output on the parking LED's?

David - San Jose, CA
Current: 2010 Touareg V6 TDI, stock for now...
Current: 2000 Boxster S, stock for now...
Former: 2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo... too many issues!
Former: 1999 996 C2, sorely missed
Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #2

I have no idea but doubt that there is some kind of adjustment within the tail light to reduce the output. You should contact the company you bought them from.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

If it's the same brightness, are your brake lights on?!
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

Yeah, tried contacting Depo but no reply... I do know these tail lights are pretty popular so I figured others have dealt with this before.

No, it is not the brake lights. The brakes use a different section of the tail light and come on with the third brake light. This is the parking light section that is too bright in my opinion.

David - San Jose, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Your problem is most likely related to circuit resistance; the OEM setup has much more resistance in the circuits due to the incandescent bulb. The reason LED’s are so bright is because they have very low internal resistance, which is also why they do not get hot. Removing the resistance when replacing the bulb with an LED often results in all kinds of issues because the circuit does not see the resistance it expects (turn signals or brake lights that don't work, etc.), including some lights being intensely bright. Adding a resistor of the correct to the circuit will improve the situation, but then the outcome is no different than having left the original bulb in there in the first place............

I’ve never understood why people want to replace functioning incandescent bulbs with LED’s, particularly when they end up rewiring half the car so the can……..
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

I know we are talking about the Depo LED lights, & I'll have to double check, but I am pretty sure my Option Racing LED lights are two stage in that brake lights use the same LEDs as the parking light but are brighter. The back-up light and turn signal are still incandescent, and they plugged right into the existing harness.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

Yeah, on the Depo style LED lights they use a separate set of LED's for parking and for brake just like the OEM incandescent. As for why change, I had the older style amber tail lights and preferred the newer look of the smoked/red look.

Anyone know a way to figure out what resistor to use to dampen the LED output?

David

David - San Jose, CA
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #8

I'll be watching for an outcome on this thread for sure. I bought the same light assembly, but haven't yet installed them. For now, it's on my winter to-do list.
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

You know, it was kind of funny but today but I saw a new 987 Boxster with factory LED tail lights... and the parking lights were a dedicated set of LED's that were set at the same brightness as LED's for braking lights. The difference was there was more LED's being used for the brakes. Makes me wonder if the Depo design was done the same... I have to admit, the LED's on the new 987 Boxster were pretty darn bright! LOL

David - San Jose, CA
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #10

Installed - Works OK and I can live with the bright LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn996
You know, it was kind of funny but today but I saw a new 987 Boxster with factory LED tail lights... and the parking lights were a dedicated set of LED's that were set at the same brightness as LED's for braking lights. The difference was there was more LED's being used for the brakes. Makes me wonder if the Depo design was done the same... I have to admit, the LED's on the new 987 Boxster were pretty darn bright! LOL
Well, after trying in vain to attach the lateral array to a plug (My Depo Lights only reached the "fog light" outlet and would not reach the "running light" outlet), I got it working:
I used the two open outlet positions innermost (call them "A" the innermost and "B"next in line).
Position "B" lights the lateral array in a steady "on position" -- no increase in intensity with breaking [and if any one has other/new information on the lateral array with variable lighting (with versus without braking), I would appreciate it].
Position "A" lights the inner array and comes on _only_ with breaking. I also tested Position "C" the next down the line laterally - nothing, a dead socket for U.S. use, except as a fog light on the driver's side (only when fog lights on). Socket "D" is for a wedge bulb that cannot work with DEPO lights
Feel free to share with other Porsche owners if they have problems - the wire MUST be reinserted into the LED chamber and brought back out through the medial/inner side to get to position "B" - or else it is too short and will not work. Do not try to use Position "C".
In the meantime, looks nice and bright! Trying hard to avoid [another] rear end accident - totaled my last car from a driver chatting on her cell phone! So, I do not mind the laterals with a ever-on LED display when my headlights are on, which is always.
David
Attached Images

Last edited by Doux; 02-02-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Doux is offline   Reply With Quote