Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Garage
And with that I have to say...Touché !
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #2

I wonder if Paul bought a $50,000 Monet painting whether he would then destroy it if it was discovered to be a forgery.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I wonder if Paul bought a $50,000 Monet painting whether he would then destroy it if it was discovered to be a forgery.
I would collect the money from the company that guaranteed it to be an original.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #4

The problem clearly lies with the manufacturer and seller of this fake cable rather than an end user who bought the item in good faith, thinking it's real.

What's more, Mark decided to warn us about the existence of such cables. Good on him.

IP laws has many flaws, and is long overdue for an overhaul. But I absolutely agree with the principle that people who spend their time developing technology and software should be justly rewarded.

Nothing is being argued here in this tread:

Yes, IP of developers like Durametric should be protected.

Yes, Mark was an unfortunate victim of counterfeit goods.

Yes, the blame chiefly lies with the counterfeiter.
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I would collect the money from the company that guaranteed it to be an original.

Well let's assume for this exercise there was none Paul, you can't re program Kobyashi Maru Captain Kirk. I'm sure at least some Art studios have gone out of business long after some poor guy has discovered the issue, like on antiques roadshow.

Edit* Here's one for ya: Why doesn't Turin burn that phony shroud proven time and again to likely be a forgery? Know how much money Italy has made off of that sheet? A lot! Whether it's fake or not doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 12-09-2010 at 04:59 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #6

Yes, and lawsuits against criminal organizations selling counterfeit art are always so successful....

You know, Paul, I don't begrudge you your opinion at all, but you came on here with this aggressive, confrontational attitude and then, when you found that your position wasn't quite as popular as you had expected, you try and backtrack with this lame " I was just asking questions" routine. Give it up, buddy - you're just embarrasing yourself.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Well let's assume for this exercise there was none Paul, you can't re program Kobyashi Maru Captain Kirk. I'm sure at least some Art studios have gone out of business long after some poor guy has discovered the issue, like on antiques roadshow.

Edit* Here's one for ya: Why doesn't Turin burn that phony shroud proven time and again to likely be a forgery? Know how much money Italy has made off of that sheet? A lot! Whether it's fake or not doesn't seem to matter.
Fake art! I used to work for Center Art Galleries as a translator and they were the biggest perpetrators of selling fake Dali artwork. Alot of us quit after that revelation came out. We had no idea they were fake when we sold them but the owner and upper management sure did and they went to prison for a long time. I felt bad but the lies started at the top and the rest of us and the customers were victims.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

Sorry to revive this thread but I would just like to say there are Version 5 cables out there that use the up-to-date durametric software (on durametric website), that work and work well. Perhaps the OP in this case got a less-than-perfect iteration of these cables.

And as for the legal debate, making/using these cables is not illegal. A quick patent search on durametric turns up nothing, thus their electronics are not patented.

Furthermore I do not see any terms that prevent free use of their software. So both hardware and software are free to use.

But I could be mistaken.

As for the moral debate, I'll let that one rage on without me.
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikstew
And as for the legal debate, making/using these cables is not illegal. A quick patent search on durametric turns up nothing, thus their electronics are not patented.
1. something does not have to be patented to be protected
2. reading the license for the software shows this clause:
"...and take reasonable steps to protect Licensor's intellectual property rights."

i would say it's safe to assume that Durametric has an IP right to the software you got for free, and that using the software in a way they did not intend (with the non-durametric cables) is a violation of the license agreement - which you have to agree to when installing the software.