Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Annoying squeak solved!

Well, I accidentally figured out what was causing that totally annoying little squeak behind my head. I thought it might be the seat belt bolt, the aluminum engine compartment lid or screw downs, part of the convertible top mechanism, or the door latch.

It was my rear speaker shelf (the one you put aftermarket speakers in, not the bose unit or the ratty leatherette bag). I removed it for my tech inspection (just to make it faster for them) and on the 30 minute drive up to the dealership with the top up, it was squeak free!

You have no idea how annoying that squeak has been to me for the last three years and how nice it was to drive without it. It was even better than when your woman gets a bad case of laryngitis!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Carnut

That's awesome!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
You have no idea how annoying that squeak has been to me for the last three years and how nice it was to drive without it. It was even better than when your woman gets a bad case of laryngitis!
Oh my goodness three years...I would have gone insane in less than a year. Couldnt you just kick yourself for not finding this before now. I have had a rattle in my car for about 3 months. It is worst at idle with the stiff engine mounts that I have. I have checked everything while sitting at idle and while driving. You know the driving while leaning over and pressing on the inside upper panel of the open glovebox kinda thing, with no success. A couple days ago my son got in the car and said whats that rattle. I assured him that it could not be found without pulling the dash apart so he need not look for it. In less than 30 seconds he said "Dad its your emergency brake handle". He put his finger on the end of the handle and sweet quiet bliss. Thanks Nathan.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:

I'm sorry Randall, but for me the best part is the line about "the woman" having laryngitis. Classic.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
kpm

See when your daily driver is 22 years old and has 252,000 miles, you tend to tune out all but the loudest squeeks.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #6

kpm, the same could be said about my wife, but she hasn't been 22 years old in 31 years.

I'm gonna regret typing that. I just know it.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #7

I am going to tell your wife what you said.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
kpm

Quote:
kpm, the same could be said about my wife, but she hasn't been 22 years old in 31 years.

I'm gonna regret typing that. I just know it.
Must be lots of jewelry stores there in Houston, huh?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #9

Norm, if you do I won't be your friend any longer.

BTW, we'll both be driving at the DE this weekend in College Station. Come out and cheer us on and do some parade laps at noon!

kpm, I have been to far too many of those jewelry stores, thank you very much. "Open mouth, insert foot" is the story of my life.

Reminds me of a joke I heard a farmer tell another farmer:

Bob John: "Hey Fred, I listen to country music in my truck. What do you listen to?"

Fred: "My wife ******************** at me."

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #10

Lol!! This thread is hillarous

Glad that rattle wasn't a big problem..

I had something like that, for a few days I heard a little relay unlatching something.. try to find it, but it was very incontinuous... ended up it was my Camera (Canon DSLR) laying on the passenger floor witch had the 'internal popup flash' button depressed and was trying to pop it out.. :P

Have a great day all

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote